Is it a sin?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Is it a sin?

Post by rightstar76 »

I think it's a positive use of technology. Dave mentioned that in the fall it's uncomfortable laying down so many hours in the dark. I don't like the long nights either. If I go to sleep early, I'm bound to wake up at 4 am when it's still dark and cold. With an electric hearth, you can watch a movie in the evening and go to sleep later like you would if you were at home. Another benefit is if camp fires are not allowed and it's dark. With an electronic hearth, you don't need one. Minus the warmth of the fire, you now have a source of light and entertainment that everyone can gather around. This has great potential.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

It only takes a backpack trip to an area with campfire restrictions to be reminded how important fire/cooking/communal eating have been for millenia as a foundational social element for all cultures.

That being said, so too are drugs & alcohol. Would you have been better served taking a comparable amount of weight in, say, Everclear 151? A couple of rounds of shots, and on one would feel the cold, nor have any inhibitions about regaling each other with wild, tale tells and other fantastic stories.

:partyman:
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Hobbes, I am with you. Sipped on mojitos and some Colorado specialties while cracking on each other until dusk. The movie kicked in about the time we would usually head for bed due to cold and darkness. We still had the usual camp discussions and banter, it just prolonged the evening.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

It's okay with me if you do it. As long as the flickering light doesn't keep me awake, that is. I love to sleep and the longer nights of mid-winter are my favorite time for backcountry camping as I get to lay in my bag unconscious for 14 or more hours at a time. No additional batteries or other technology required.
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

Looks pretty sweet to me.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

At first I thought yuk :puke: , but the more I think about it the more it doesn't bother me. To each their own and I could see times it would be a good way to pass time. I would say I'm not watching certain movies like the Hills Have Eyes :paranoid: or anything :p .
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

To quote the Pope, who are we to judge?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

overheadx2 wrote:Colorado specialties
Ha, that's a good one. We're legal here in NV too now.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

How much do the chairs weigh and what brand?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

I could have used something like that last week while stuck in the tent every afternoon for 3 hours waiting for the rain and hail to stop.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.