Is it a sin?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Is it a sin?

Post by dave54 »

Troutdog 59 wrote:At first I thought yuk :puke: , but the more I think about it the more it doesn't bother me. To each their own and I could see times it would be a good way to pass time. I would say I'm not watching certain movies like the Hills Have Eyes :paranoid: or anything :p .
How about the Missing 411 videos?

or p o r n?
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I could have used something like that last week while stuck in the tent every afternoon for 3 hours waiting for the rain and hail to stop.
Don't Lisa read that. :lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mav and Jimr.. where is your TR? :)
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

That's somewhere between absolutely brilliant and deeply disturbing. Very decadent. I think you've touched on something that could really catch on with some crowds though.
rlown wrote:How much do the chairs weigh and what brand?
Looks like an Alite Mayfly. About 1lb 9oz. I tried one once, but didn't see the sling connection points or aluminum frame lasting long, all things considered. Sort of comfortable, but just more stuff to set up and break down, so more trouble than it was worth to me. Ended up going back to my Crazy Creek Hex 2.0 (1lb 5 oz) that I just quickly flip open or roll back up, gives me a comfortable back to lean against, and can double as a sit or emergency ground pad.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

maverick wrote:
I could have used something like that last week while stuck in the tent every afternoon for 3 hours waiting for the rain and hail to stop.
Don't Lisa read that. :lol:
Dude, when it's 35Friggin' F out and you can't muster anything less than 4 layers and a sleeping bag, there is nothing to do but sleep. But, a movie? I need to add an extra room to the Bellagio or maybe convert the poker room to a movie theater.
dave54 wrote:How about the Missing 411 videos?

or p o r n?
The last thing a bunch of guys want to do is sit around and watch P***. Even at a bachelor party, it's nothing but an uncomfortable ritual.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by overheadx2 »

The chair is a helinox chair. Weighs 19 oz. The chair is extremely comfortable and I have had this chair for a couple of years and no problems. I was concerned since I weigh 210#s. We all have them now, and none have broken. Again, just got tired of sitting on logs, rocks and dirt so the extra weight seemed worth it. There was a time when a sub 25# pack was more important, but now I shoot for 30# for a week ender.
As far as movies go, it's usually a consensus and usually stupid. Basically the equivalent of reading jughead on a kindle.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I imagine a future time, maybe not so far in the future, where there will be movie nights at larger campsites in the Sierra. With lightweight chairs, improved battery technology, aided by solar charging, lightweight movie screens, and streaming via satellite phone or dish. Jetboil will sell a popcorn popper adapter.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

We could do away with the need for paper maps and GPS completely by installing interactive kiosks that project suggested routes and photos of upcoming "don't miss" trail highlights in real time on cliff faces. Christo and Tom Harrison could collaborate on the project. Nobody would ever get lost again, and be endlessly entertained and amazed in the process.

I used to backpack, but I got bored because it took too long.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

On a kind of related note there has been a very obvious increase in people in the backcountry with earbuds. I really don't care about that so much, although when they pass by and say "hello" I'm never really sure if they'll hear my response. Should I learn ASL to communicate with them? Maybe just memorizing one or two signs would be enough. Anyway, as long as it doesn't impact my experience, and earbuds do not, I don't care. But what I've also noticed is an increase in people with audio speakers in the backcountry. That does impact my experience and almost without exception I don't want to hear it when I'm in the wilderness. There's nothing I can do about it though.

One answer is to go to more remote places to avoid the semi-urban aspects of popular wilderness areas. But I really like the Sierra and part of its appeal is the ease of access.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

longri wrote:On a kind of related note there has been a very obvious increase in people in the backcountry with earbuds. I really don't care about that so much, although when they pass by and say "hello" I'm never really sure if they'll hear my response. Should I learn ASL to communicate with them? Maybe just memorizing one or two signs would be enough.
No, just wave your arms emphatically and point in the direction they're going, then just keep on walking. Practice your terrified look in the mirror at home.