Is it a sin?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Is it a sin?

Post by Jimr »

If framed with respect to Sierra backpacking only, the thought would be appalling. Of course, that wasn't the case. Would I want to see this in the Sierra? No, I surely don't think so. Not in backpacking areas or campgrounds. Are there places where this would be totally innocuous and harm nobody? Of course! I can think of several places I camped just last year where that would be absolutely so. There are so many places outside of NP territory where it's easy to be nowhere near anyone for miles. FS roads and desert areas where you can be as isolated as you desire. In cases like these, anyone who camps within earshot of your camp, perhaps does need a bit of education in etiquette.

It's all about simple respect.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Harlen wrote: the election of Trump
from different thread:
Harlen wrote:the Trumpian apocalypse
Obsess over the orange hair POTUS much??? Not sure what he really has to do with it?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Well, his hair is no longer orange and he has nothing to do with the discussion, so maybe,,,, we can just leave that be and stay with the discussion? Maybe?
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

overheadx2 wrote:I go into the woods for solitude with my friends and purposely will go off trail or bush wack around a lake in order to not be around people. I've even gone so far as to pick up my camp and move when a group settled in close enough to hear them. If some one hears me or my movie, THEY obviously need a lesson in outdoor etiquette.
That's the thing though. You have a fixed set of desires and your own perspective on it. You're obviously an experienced person: right or wrong, the movies and Tyvek are brilliant applications that only someone that put a lot of thought into it could've come up with. But, perspectives; some think what you're doing is wrong, some people don't want to hear music, some fervently oppose armed people in the backcountry, some don't want people anywhere near them, some want peace and quiet...

We once had a group of about six people come into an area with limited campsites right before us. As part of them searching for the best site, all six of them began leaving their individual packs at the one they had just visited as they explored the others, laying claim to all of them until they locked in the best choice. I got in their faces and we almost went to blows. It was one of the rudest and most disgusting things I've ever seen, in the backcountry or anywhere, but, they didn't even think twice about their perceived right to do it and screw anyone else. Entitled little jerks justified it by claiming that they were there first and had every right.

While you may understand etiquette and respect, too many others have no idea or could care less about either.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by overheadx2 »

Wow harken, you really can ruin a light hearted post. I Get it, your a hard core guy that reads Nietzsche or meditates. I'm certainly not a hard core hiker like you, just an average guy getting out and having fun with friends. Glad I could give you something to be $&@/ing apalled about this week.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Well, in keeping with the subject of this thread
Let he who is without sin cast the next stone.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

overheadx2 wrote:Wow harken, you really can ruin a light hearted post. I Get it, your a hard core guy that reads Nietzsche or meditates. I'm certainly not a hard core hiker like you, just an average guy getting out and having fun with friends. Glad I could give you something to be $&@/ing apalled about this week.
With respect, you did start this thread and ask for people's opinions. You clearly stated that you expected people strongly to disagree with you.

Moderators, is it possible to call this thread done and lock it?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Yes, it seems the thread has run its course. We can have strong disagreements in a respectful way, but once erosion begins, it tends to continue its course. No one to blame. It seems to take on a life of its own. We can, of course, just agree to disagree.