Harvey

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Harvey

Post by Jimr »

My heart goes out to our brethren on the Texas coast. :(
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
texbob
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Harvey

Post by texbob »

I'm not on the coast but a bit inland. Some tracks take it over the house in a few days. The problem right now is tornados.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

texbob wrote:I'm not on the coast but a bit inland. Some tracks take it over the house in a few days. The problem right now is tornados.
How is it going?
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

Russ,
I'm even further inland in Austin and actually n and w of downtown. Being on the n and e side of the center, (the rainy side) we have had 8" so far and it's a rain train. Probably 5-8" more by tomorrow. The winds have not been bad 25-35mph. But the rain w/b and issue for some low lying areas. We are hilly(800' msl) by TX standards. :unibrow: so no street flooding except for the low water crossings which are probably closed. Tomorrow w/b different as when all the upstream rains from the Highland Lakes get down below (south) of Austin. Bastrop (downstream of Austin) as of this morn had 17" But yes Houston and Katy are suffering.
On the upside it's a stay at home and BBQ some ribs day.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I really liked Austin when I was there on business. It's sad I can't be there to partake in your rib feast. As for the rain. I can go either way. Petaluma had 56" of rain this season, and I'm glad it didn't come all at once, but that is what'll cause most of the fires this season.

Have fun with the BBQ, and stay dry!
texbob
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by texbob »

I specifically live in Katy which is west of downtown. The water is definitely rising but hasn't reached the house yet. It is nothing like those on the east side of town.

I am scheduled to leave in 2 weeks for a walk around the Rae Lakes loop. It is ironic that I was worried all summer about stream crossings there. Now, that seems a bit misguided.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Way too funny, texbob. :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Well, it is good to read that non of our HST members have suffered any serious damage by this hurricane, as unfortunately many others have and still are.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Our daughter lives in NW Houston. The creek about a mile from their house is 6+ feet over flood stage. They're ok for now and hopefully will be for the duration. Thoughts and prayers to those in the flood zones.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I have a dozen employees in Houston. Many, I've known for 20 years. Very concerned about them. We had them shut the office before noon Friday and do whatever they needed to do to prepare.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.