Another way we were

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Another way we were

Post by Jimr »

maverick wrote:
I have braids down my.....nevermind.
Thanks for that visual Jim, will never look at you the same. :D

Don't be lookin' there :moon:

Minne Tonka. Isn't that sort of redundant? That reminds me. I was coming home down 395 a few weeks ago and saw a huge semi hauling two flat bed trailers. The first was carrying two large rolls of cable. The second had a Tonka scoop loader strapped down.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I had 30 Tonkas when I was 2. Many of my Mother's family lived in Mound, MN. We even drove there in the Winter; try starting a CA chevy at -20. It's pretty impressive. You can hear the valves free up one at a time, and then you have to be in 4WD just to get the differentials to turn.. Then you make your way to the gas station, and your locking gas cap is frozen solid. Wouldn't trade those years for anything. Just makes you look at the world in a different light for a bit, which is a lot like a winter backpacking trip. And that thought you get to melt that gas cap with your bic lighter passes pretty quickly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnetonka,_Minnesota

More on the toys:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonka
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I had maybe 5 Tonka trucks. So, at what point during the trip did you stop and dump the 30wt and switch to 10 wt?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Jimr wrote:I had maybe 5 Tonka trucks. So, at what point during the trip did you stop and dump the 30wt and switch to 10 wt?
Never.. Even molasses runs free when heated.. Then all is well. We did have a different experience in Utah when we stopped in the Summer and oil was dripping from the oil pan (we had just rebuilt the engine.) Dad forgot to torque the pan.. Sooo, he wasn't there, but I cursed a bit as the hot oil dripped down when I retorqued the pan. I miss those trips.. Amazing the tools I carry as fall-out from the "learning" days..

It was hard to find fault with a '73 Chevy Suburban. Mom still has it.

When my '64 impala was broken into at Carson pass, I had a really nice set of tools in the trunk. Wasn't even touched. they were looking for money i guess.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Right down the arm and into the pit. Ask me how I know. Tell me, please, that you used dead reconing and feel to torque the oil pan and not a torque wrench :D
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Jimr wrote:Right down the arm and into the pit. Ask me how I know. Tell me, please, that you used dead reconing and feel to torque the oil pan and not a torque wrench :D
Dead Reckoning. Torque wrench was still at home. Had a spare 5'er of motor oil so I wasn't hurting. It was at a rest stop somewhere between Wendover, NV and SLC. Not a lot of rest at that point.