Welcome to Yosemite. Don't die.

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Welcome to Yosemite. Don't die.

Post by rlown »

Public Health

Vector-Borne Diseases

As with any trip into the Sierra Nevada, it's possible (though unlikely) while visiting Yosemite that you could be exposed to a variety of vector-borne diseases. Here are some general tips to reduce your risk:

Avoid contact with mosquitoes and ticks.

Many mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn, mainly during the summer. Be sure to use insect repellent and wear long sleeves and pants or consider staying indoors during these hours. Ticks cling to plants, waiting for a host (you) to walk by; walk down the middle of trails and avoid areas with high grass and leaf litter.

Use an effective insect repellent.

Repellents containing DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, or IR3535 typically provide reasonably long-lasting protection against mosquitoes, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends repellents containing DEET or permethrin to repel ticks. (Search for a repellent that is right for you.)
Find and remove ticks from your body
Soon after going indoors, bathe or shower, then conduct a full-body tick check using a mirror. Examine your children, too, and also check pets, backpacks, clothing, etc.
Avoid sleeping in rodent-infested areas or near animal burrows. If you see evidence of rodent activity in your room or other facility, contact park staff (don't clean it up yourself).

Avoid contact with wildlife and keep food and trash stored properly.

Wild animals in Yosemite can transmit numerous diseases, including plague, rabies, and hantavirus. Keeping your distance and your food from wildlife not only protects them, it also protects you from injury and exposure to diseases.

If you encounter a mammal, particularly a raccoon, skunk, fox, coyote, or bat, that is behaving erratically, don’t touch the animal. Instead, report the sick animal to a park employee.

In addition to keeping bears away, storing your food properly also reduces your exposure to rodents and their fleas, which may carry plague.

Vector-Borne Diseases in Yosemite Include:

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) is a severe, sometimes fatal, respiratory disease in humans caused by infection with a hantavirus. California Department of Public Health and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention websites contain important information that can help you recognize and and reduce your risk of contracting of Hauntavirus.

Plague is a highly infectious bacterial disease primarily affecting rodents. Humans and other animals can get plague if they visit or live in areas where wild rodents are sick or dying from plague. Plague has been identified throughout the Sierra Nevada including Yosemite National Park. Wild rodents (including squirrels and chipmunks) are the principal source of plague in California. California Department of Public Health and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention websites contain important information that can help you recognize and and reduce your risk of contracting of plague.

West Nile virus (WNV) is a potentially serious illness. Experts believe WNV is established as a seasonal epidemic in North America that flares up in the summer and continues into the fall. Most often, WNV is spread by the bite of an infected mosquito. Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on infected birds. Infected mosquitoes can then spread WNV to humans and other animals when they bite. California Department of Public Health and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention websites contain important information that can help you recognize and reduce your risk of contracting West Nile virus.

Lyme Disease. If you are bitten by a tick, and later experience flu-like symptoms, contact your doctor and mention you had a tick bite. The California Department of Public Health and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention websites contain important information about Lyme disease. If you are diagnosed as having Lyme disease, and you believe you got it in Yosemite, have your doctor contact the park sanitarian at 209/379-1209.
Tick-borne relapsing fever (TBRF) is a rare but serious illness in people caused by bacteria that are carried by soft ticks. TBRF typically causes flu-like symptoms that disappear quickly after a few days. This is followed by a return (or relapse) of symptoms a few days later. This cycle can repeat for weeks if not treated. Soft ticks look and behave differently than the hard ticks ("dog ticks" or "deer ticks," for example) commonly found while hiking in many parts of California. Soft ticks aren't found along hiking trails but typically live in dark, cool places such as rodent nests, and shaded wood piles outside of buildings. Soft ticks are found mainly in forested foothill and mountain regions above 3,000 feet, including Yosemite National Park. Those who get sick with TBRF are usually infected while visiting mountain areas and staying in cabins or buildings that are infested with rodents and soft ticks. People can protect themselves from TBRF by keeping rodents out of buildings. The California Department of Public Health and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention websites contain important information about tick-borne relapsing fever. If you are diagnosed as having relapsing fever, and you believe you contracted it in Yosemite, have your doctor contact the park's environmental health officer/public health consultant at 209/379-1209.

Rabies is a viral disease that affects the central nervous system. The virus is usually passed to humans via the bite of a rabid animal. Occasionally, rabies can be transmitted if the saliva of an infected animal gets into a fresh scratch, break in the skin, or contact with mucous membranes (eyes, mouth, nose). Throughout California, most cases of rabies occur in skunks and bats.

Always enjoy wild animals from a distance and do not do not handle, feed, or attract wild animals. Yosemite has an ecologically rich population of bats. If you see a bat that is behaving erratically, is unafraid of humans, or is lying on the ground, it may be sick. It is important not to touch or approach bats closely.

Rabies is 100% preventable if appropriate medical attention is given prior to the development of symptoms, but is 100% fatal if an exposure is not treated. The California Department of Public Health and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention websites have important information about rabies.

Other Public Health Issues in Yosemite

Norovirus-the stomach bug (a gastrointestinal illness)
Norovirus is a highly contagious virus. Norovirus infection causes gastroenteritis (inflammation of the stomach and intestines). This leads to diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach pain.

Norovirus illness is often called by other names, such as food poisoning and stomach flu. While noroviruses can cause food poisoning, other germs and chemicals can also cause food poisoning. Norovirus illness is not related to the flu (influenza), which is a respiratory illness caused by influenza virus. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has more information (and a fact sheet [300 kb PDF]). California Department of Public Health also has additional information about norovirus.

Water. To protect yourself from disease, treat any river or lake water before drinking. The most reliable way to disinfect water is to boil it for three minutes. Otherwise, use a filter rated to remove bacteria and protozoa (1 micron or smaller filter). After filtering, treat the water with 2 drops of chlorine bleach per quart (liter) of water for 30 minutes in order to kill viruses (which are not removed by filters). Viruses aren't common in Yosemite's waters, but we recommend that you treat water to kill them.

To prevent the spread of Giardia and other water-borne disease organisms, use restroom facilities where available, and wash or sanitize your hands often. In natural areas where facilities are not available, bury human waste six inches deep and at least 100 feet away from any water source or trail. Also, do your washing and camping at least 100 feet away from any water source or trail.

Air quality. Burning of fossil fuels and some agricultural emissions west of Yosemite, along with smoke from fires in and near Yosemite, degrade Yosemite's air quality, mainly during summer. Smoke and poor air quality may irritate your eyes and respiratory system, and may worsen chronic heart and lung conditions. (Check current air quality conditions.) The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has additional information about air pollution and respiratory health and health threats from wildfire smoke.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. Carbon monoxide (CO), an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death. Campers using gas-powered generators, stoves, lanterns, etc., run the risk of CO poisoning if they use these devices in areas without adequate ventilation.
Source: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/health.htm

Just a refresher for some.. :) The embedded links work if you visit the source site.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Welcome to Yosemite. Don't die.

Post by cgundersen »

russ,
This is almost enough to make one leery of opening the car door at a trailhead. On the other hand, given how the "art" of driving has deteriorated in LA, I think I'd rather take my chances up there, than on the mean streets of the big city. I for one cannot wait for self-driving cars (that are programmed to follow some of the simpler rules of the road). Cameron
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm holding out for teleportation.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

On Giardia.. I am not sure if this is in some other forum, but I am curious.
How may CONFIRMED cases of giardia come from the sierras? I mean, backpacking above 10000 feet. I spoke with a ranger who thinks it is zero.
I know people get gastric discomfort, and the ranger perception, is that this is more about hygiene than giardiasis.

Are there any actual FACTS on this subject? If I google... I get things from the companies that want to sell products...
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I know Hetchy had it and he lost 30lbs. Near Tahoe on the PCT and was put on Flagyl.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC88965/

https://www.cdc.gov/dpdx/giardiasis/index.html

I filter everything that I don't boil. "Monsters inside me" covered the topic pretty well. Remember, someone or something pooped above where you're drinking the water.

PS: Rangers don't know because they don't keep track of almost anything.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Back 10 to 15 years, I found several articles basically saying how great the water quality in the Sierra is, even one linked to the SierraWild government website before I guess the lawyers told them to take it down. Wish I had saved them. The one I remember best was a scientific paper published in a medical journal by a backpacking doctor from the UC Davis medical school who decided to actually TEST the water in the high sierra. He and grad students backpacked in many places, including heavily visited spots in Desolation Wilderness, Yosemite, and along the John Muir Trail and collected water samples which they cultured and analyzed back in the lab. And yes, they had insulated carriers for the test tubes. Their conclusion: all samples, including heavily visited lakes, in areas with NO cattle grazing were cleaner that the water that comes out of your tap back in the city. Areas that allow backcountry cattle grazing (some of the wilderness areas north of Yosemite) had problems with water quality. They even collected some horse poop dropped on the trail by pack animals to test - only 1 or 2 percent had any nasty bugs in them, whereas horses in suburban stables generally have infection rates at least 10 times as great. Seems those packer horse live a healthy life up in the mountains. I wish I had the actual publication reference!
-Phil
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Yeah.. Sorry to disagree. I don't drink down stream from horse poop either w/o a filter. Will you live after hiking out? yes. Will you be miserable after the 10-14 day gestation. yes. Kind of a personal choice at that point.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

I drink fresh water straight out of high altitude springs. Everything else..........treated or filtered, occasionally filtered and boiled. And there's no way I'm playing with Alvin.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

I drink water straight out of large high sierra lakes that are sitting there bathing in disinfecting ultraviolet light from the sun all day. Sort of like a "steri-pen" on steroids. Also from streams coming straight off the mountain with no trails higher up. Of course, I don't collect my water right next to the big packer campsite. I've never been sick from a high sierra backpack in 47 years (and only filtered/treated water for a few years when I had my small children with me). Did get a nasty case of campylobacter once from a fast-food joint in Oakdale on the way home. Ironically, that was one of the trips with the kids where we did filter the water. I had the chicken sandwich, everyone else had burgers. I also picked up giardia once as a young man on a Grand Canyon raft trip. It was very early season (first week April) and the water was running clear and cold from the bottom of Glen Canyon dam and I foolishly believed the boatman who said he drank the river water straight all the time. Which leads to the truism: your mileage may vary.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

OK, I found my literature references on water quality sampling in the high Sierra.

First, Dr. Robert W. Derlet from the UC Davis Department of Internal Medicine has done extensive sampling and testing for coliform bacteria in high Sierra waters. E. coli is generally considered a good indicator of bacterial contamination, which he believes is more important than giardia for causing disease. Here is his article summarizing 5 years of sampling in the Sierra:
"Risk Factors for Coliform Bacteria in Backcountry Lakes and Streams in the Sierra Nevada Mountains: a 5-Year Study"
available at: http://www.ericjlee.com/Articles/Sierra ... 5years.pdf

Second, Robert Rockwell wrote this Sierra Nevada Nature Note summarizing the concerns about Giardia and results of testing for it in Sierra waters:

"Giardia Lamblia and Giardiasis With Particular Attention to the Sierra Nevada"
available at: http://www.sierranaturenotes.com/nature ... iardia.htm

After re-reading both, I still feel confident drinking untreated water in the high Sierra while paying attention to the immediate surroundings and avoiding collecting water near areas of heavy pack animal use, and certainly never drinking untreated water in areas where cattle or sheep grazing is permitted.
-Phil