Tioga Pass Road...

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tioga Pass Road...

Post by copeg »

The current plowing update lists that plowing on highway 120 through Yosemite will not start until April 16th (http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm), the tioga webcam show very little snow and a clear, shall I say plowed, road (http://meteora.ucsd.edu/cap/tioga/tioga_current.jpg). I'm guessing it might be the earliest road opening to date...any bets on when it'll open?
will_jrob
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by will_jrob »

I'm predicting May 19, the day after I'm planning to leave the park..If the road is plowed/controlled as the Badger Pass road, the chain requirement won't be lifted until after Memorial Day. ;)
Robin
Topix Acquainted

Post by Robin »

Hmm...we do a wager every year with family and friends. So far the guesses range from May 1 (that's mine) to May 15 to never (that's another story). People want anything from a hot fudge sundae to a bottle of Bushmills to a piece of pie from Rock Creek to a Mercedes-Benz (yet, another story). Not that we collect, of course.

So, I'll stick with May 1 for the whole deal to be open to traffic.

Anyone have an idea about when the road will be open from the eastside gate at the bottom of 120 to TPR??
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

I guess May 12th...a Saturday.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Not soon enough!

May 18th...Friday and our 16th wedding anniversary. :unibrow: