HST years

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: HST years

Post by giantbrookie »

I also give thanks to Eric for putting the forums together and running things all these years. I do not do the usual social media, so this is really my only online "home". For me it has very much helped to fill the void created when ATT pulled the plug on my website back in 2010. It continues to be fun to learn from others on this board and to meet new friends. I also very much enjoy the opportunity to do my part to make the High Sierra wilderness more enjoyable and rewarding for others.

Regarding chocolate and the like, whereas I do in fact like chocolate (especially in the 70-80% range), it is the high mountains themselves that are my vitamin C.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Can't say it was my goal to get chocolate leads from this thread, but since I'm still waiting to find the chocolate that surpasses what one could get from the chocolatier (a Belgian supplier, Elena, who appears no longer to be in business) at Harrods and Selfridges in London in the early '80's, I'm more than willing to give it a whirl. Since I've noticed that most anything tastes good in the mountains (Spam? Velveeta?), the real test will be whether it holds up in the big city. Well, now I have a new mission! Gracias.
Cameron
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

What about them chocolate-covered espresso beans?! Multi-use: Hike longert, talk fastert, and eat yer chocolate too.
Plus you kin shoot em at the kids outa yer slingshot fer fun around camp.
I no you kin git em at Trader Joe's...
however, I am uncertain as to whether on not one may procure them at Harrods and Selfridges in London.

p.s. How did you all get onto chocolate?!
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Just start from the OP and watch the migration to chocolate; it was a subtle but flavorful switch. At least it wasn't about Romney's Kendal Mint Cake.. ugh.

Back on topic: Lots of new members since I joined and enjoyed every minute reading the posts. There always seems to be something new to talk about (technology changes, gear changes, boots/shoes, food, UL, etc.) Eric and team run a great forum here and hope it continues and grows. A LOT of great people here contributing information..

Russ
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

rlown wrote:Just start from the OP and watch the migration to chocolate; it was a subtle but flavorful switch. At least it wasn't about Romney's Kendal Mint Cake.. ugh.

Back on topic: Lots of new members since I joined and enjoyed every minute reading the posts. There always seems to be something new to talk about (technology changes, gear changes, boots/shoes, food, UL, etc.) Eric and team run a great forum here and hope it continues and grows. A LOT of great people here contributing information..

Russ
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: \:D/
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Since this has become something of a chocoholics delight, I need to clarify that just about the only reason I ever visited Harrods/Selfridges was for the chocolate, which was very pricey, but delivered at a level that I've not surpassed. However, Mav has been a source of suggestions that have me wondering whether I need to raise my activity level to accommodate the caloric jolt that I'm likely to experience: yep, chocolate can be a pretty good stimulant even without the espresso beans, which I concur are a double whammy with fringe benefits. cameron
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »