Why so many conditions requests?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Why so many conditions requests?

Post by Jimr »

Tom_H wrote: Mav may indeed not handhold to the point of telling people exact tent sites to select, but OTOH, no one has gone to the great cautionary lengths that he has to prevent catastrophes as well as to search, rescue, and recover those who have become lost. The way you held him up as an example and then extend a conclusion that all of us need to follow his example of NOT assisting people with information.......well......I really found that troubling.
Tom, I just don't see that conclusion in Zac's post at all. What I hear is asking the question "does it do a disservice to get too detailed and leaving nothing or next to nothing to be learned or discovered?" I think if one is asking about that level of minutia, then perhaps it is a service because they are new and don't know. They need a little hand holding until they get some basic experience under their belt. If someone asked where to camp at a particular lake, there are ways of pointing them in the right direction without picking out their spot for them, ie. lots of decent camping on the south side of the lake or a bit above. Of course, it's a different question if someone asks if there is good camping at a particular lake. They may be merely unfamiliar with the area and don't want to pick a bummer of a lake to attempt to camp.

Mav is very good at giving intel at the level of the question and questioner. I think it is what many of us strive to do. With so many social media inspired newbies, it would be a disservice not to give them the hand holding they need until they get their feet wet. I'd rather see someone succeed with their hand held, than to have them suffer because they had to figure it out on their own. Those who come here and ask questions are already operating a step above the crowd. They are researching. Gotta learn to walk before you can run and we all had our hand held for that adventure.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Why so many conditions requests?

Post by ERIC »

This thread is quickly degrading so I'm locking it down. The objective of HST is for folks of all levels of experience to ask questions and to share experience when one has it. It is expected that both types of engagement be conducted with class and respect. I've recently discovered online on other related sites that some past and even current visitors of HST consider this place to be elitist and have either moved on or are hesitant to post because they've grown tired of resident jackals. We have some very experienced, long-tenured members here. Some apparently have an issue with questions asked by new members and how some veteran members respond to them, but if need be, I am prepared to part ways with one in the interest of the many. In the interest of the future of HST.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix