Big spike in NP traffic

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Big spike in NP traffic

Post by Jimr »

Early spring, I picked up a couple of French PCT hikers near Mt. Waterman. I mentioned to them that I notice a huge spike in French and German trail reports on The Journalist. The woman said it is because last year, a book on hiking the PCT came out in Europe. It went viral in sales. Evidently a lot of interest and action.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

My wife loves to plan euro vacations. I'm always kidding her that somewhere over there they are dreaming of visiting calif.

Lone pine is around 1/2 euro. They love to go to death valley in the summer. Ditto yosemite. The whoa nelly diner at 120 & 395 is usually full euro.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

My wife just turned 62 and I am about to reach 63 so we both went to get our lifetime NP passes. The price goes from $10 to $80 on the 28th of this month, so right now is the time to get them if you are 62 or over. A lot of baby boomers are hitting retirement. Many are well off enough to buy motor homes and want to see the country. We have a small off-road 4x4 Sportsmobile motorhome on order and will be doing the same once its built.

The passes can be ordered online or via mail, but there's an extra $10 convenience fee to do it that way. Below is a link to places where the passes can be purchased in person, but be sure to call ahead because many are sold out.

https://www.recreation.gov/brands/rec.g ... st1931.pdf