Yosemite Bears

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite Bears

Post by rlown »

Just a reminder before the snow melts..
[youtube_vid]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ijIePq9gGfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Re: Yosemite Bears

Post by Cross Country »

In the 80s and 90s the park service saw fit to take seemingly all their "problem" bears from the vally up the road towards Jack Main Creek. The bears then became, instead of a problem for the workers in the vally, a big problem for the backpackers to Beehive, the campsite before beehive, Laurel and Vernon Lakes and Jack Main Creek. They then became a problem for the people least equipped to deal with them - backpackers. They bothered and were even threatening to my two young boys and me. I personally saw them get food from two different backpacking groups. I always considered this to be an irresponsible act by the park service. This, of course, was before bear cans.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Yosemite Bears

Post by rlown »

Lot's of bear issues in the 80's.. They went away. Guess you got them. We used to watch them nightly in the Vogelsang area trying to either pull bags from the cables or huff at you as you slept. I love my bear can. Keeps them safer. Some are still attracted to bad car mgmt of food or coolers.