International Space Station

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Hillbasher
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

International Space Station

Post by Hillbasher »

Seeing how I was awake at 5 AM this morning I went outside and watched a 5:07 AM fly over of the ISS just a few minutes ago. Made me wonder if anyone had ever seen it going overhead while up in the Sierras. Have seen it out in the desert near Barstow when I knew it was going over, but not up in the Sierras that I can remember. Something to make you think about while watching it pass over you.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: International Space Station

Post by mschnaidt »

I've seen it many times. It's spectacular in the high country, especially if it's a bright pass (they vary). I try to make it a habit to check when the ISS will be passing over. It adds a little anticipation and excitement to my star gazing. It's fun stuff, especially the first couple of times you see it.

I use an app on my android phone that will alert me when there is a visible ISS pass where I'm located. It's a free one called ISS Detector. Synch the app to update the data before you are off grid. It has an option in settings to calculate up to 10 days.
psykokid
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by psykokid »

If you're a HAM operator you can attempt to contact the ISS when they are doing a flyover as well. http://www.qsl.net/ah6rh/am-radio/space ... d-iss.html
tarbuckle
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by tarbuckle »

You can sign up to get text alerts when it's flying over your area https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/
papasequoia
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by papasequoia »

For iPhone I use a free app called ISS Spotter. Lots of cool stuff including a forecast that ranks how well you will be able to see it and on what nights. It also has a little compass type thing so you can point it at where it should become visible, it also shows angle of height in the sky.
Nature always wins
> miles = < people