Archeological Site Vandal Convicted

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Archeological Site Vandal Convicted

Post by maverick »

US DOJ:
Mammoth Lakes Doctor Sentenced to Probation for Removing Archeological Resources

FRESNO, Calif. — Jonathan Cornelius Bourne, 59, of Mammoth Lakes, was sentenced Monday to two years of probation, a $40,000 fine, and $249,372 in restitution for felony violations of the Archeological Resources Protection Act, Acting U.S. Attorney Phillip A. Talbert announced. Additionally, Bourne is banned from entering federal public lands for recreational purposes while on probation.

On August 15, 2016, Bourne pleaded guilty to unauthorized transportation of archeological resources and unauthorized excavation, removal, damage, or defacement of archeological resources. According to court documents, Bourne had been collecting artifacts and archeological resources since 1994. He documented each item and has voluntarily turned over to the government an estimated 20,000 archeological items that he had collected from public lands.

According to the plea agreement, on October 14, 2010, Bourne altered a small prehistoric site, cremation site, and burial cairns in the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest in Nevada. He removed glass trade beads and transported them to his home in Mammoth Lakes. On January 10, 2011, Bourne altered a large prehistoric site in Death Valley National Park and removed a tool made from a bighorn sheep horn and three incised stone tablets, which were later found in Bourne’s home.

In sentencing Bourne, U.S. District Judge Lawrence J. O’Neill stated that the damage caused by Bourne could not be undone no matter what sentence was imposed. He further stated that this case highlighted the importance of educating others as to the significance of the sacred Native American cultural resources and the protection of the Native American cultural sites.

Death Valley National Park Superintendent Mike Reynolds said, “Death Valley is the homeland of the Timbisha Shoshone Tribe. Dr. Bourne didn't just steal their heritage; he stole from all Americans when he removed these artifacts from the park. I'm relieved that he has been sentenced and is paying restitution to help us curate the artifacts. I hope this will help deter other people from desecrating important cultural resources that help tell our nation's history. However, we've permanently lost information that could have been learned if the artifacts had never been moved.”

This case was the product of an investigation by the United States Forest Service, the National Park Service, and the Bureau of Land Management. Assistant United States Attorney Laurel J. Montoya prosecuted the case.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-edca/pr/ma ... -resources

He got off lightly.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Re: Archeological Site Vandal Convicted

Post by Ska-T »

This past summer my daughter, my cousin and I stopped for lunch near the west side of Thousand Island Lake. While eating we found a small arrowhead resting on the surface of the ground. I'm glad my cousin, a retired NFS biologist, said to leave it there. I wasn't aware that keeping an isolated arrowhead was illegal (as well as inconsiderate). [-X

https://dougsarchaeology.wordpress.com/ ... eral-land/

I'm pretty sure the looter in Mav's news article above wasn't ignorant of his actions.
acorad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by acorad »

This guy is the top-dog MD at Mammoth Hospital. Dug up and took a prehistoric wooden archery bow from some permafrost. When he or his buddies posted photos online of him digging it out, that was the start of his prosecution. 20,000+ additional artifacts he stole from you and me and our native americans over the decades. Jeez, makes my blood boil.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

He should have just picked up a bison calf, that's only a $200 fine in Yellowstone. :-0
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

To be fair he really is a nice guy. He just has a bad hobby.