Man dies after multiple wasp stings in Huntington Lake area

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

The Fresno Bee

A 62-year-old man died after being stung by a swarm of wasps Monday in the mountains above Fresno, according to a Fresno County Emergency Medical Services and a sheriff’s spokesman.

Mike Bracci of Chino Hills was collecting wood about 1:30 p.m. when he came inside a cabin and reported being stung, EMS reported.

Bracci went into cardiac arrest after reporting that he was feeling lightheaded. Paramedics at the scene were unable to revive him, EMS reports said.

Sheriff’s spokesman Tony Botti said Bracci was stung by more than a dozen wasps. The coroner’s office is investigating but has yet to release a report on the cause of death, he said.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Man dies after multiple wasp stings in Huntington Lake a

Post by rlown »

Had a storm of yellow jackets attack me and my sister when out gathering wood in Dunsmuir decades ago. Got stung 6 times, but I'm not allergic. We ran back to the truck (parents still asleep) and we jumped into the cab. Still had to swat a few that came with us.

Sounds like that 62yo might have been allergic. Epipen maybe would have helped. Dunno.