SAR Volunteer Shot

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SAR Volunteer Shot

Post by rlown »

i get it. just not impressed with the response.
Last edited by rlown on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Police, and other forces actually trained for that kind of thing, lose people they come face to face with all the time. Lot of these folks are volunteers. Personally, I'm not so quick to judge any response to something so out of the ordinary.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

SAR is run by the Sheriff of the county, right? Not trying to argue the point but if you see someone, you cant really hunt them down and keep track?
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

That could mean nothing. How many Sheriffs officers were in the immediate area? Do you know that? How many SAR in general were there to witness the incident and could have (if they were armed?) taken chase?? MY point is, your disappointment is likely armchair QB, premature judgement of what was unquestionably a unique situation.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

If you are a volunteer confronted by someone with a gun, you DO NOT engage them, you LEAVE, calling for a deputy if the radio works. Safety is the top priority.

In some of the remote gnarly off trail areas, you don't have a lot of options. Sometimes teams of volunteers have no deputy with them as seems to be the case here. We were encouraged to get a CC permit and have a sidearm but that is the choice of each volunteer, not a mandate, because again, volunteers are NOT officers and are instructed not to act like one.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I agree with Eric. This seems quite rare to me.
Brien
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Brien »

AlmostThere wrote:If you are a volunteer confronted by someone with a gun, you DO NOT engage them, you LEAVE, calling for a deputy if the radio works. Safety is the top priority.

In some of the remote gnarly off trail areas, you don't have a lot of options. Sometimes teams of volunteers have no deputy with them as seems to be the case here. We were encouraged to get a CC permit and have a sidearm but that is the choice of each volunteer, not a mandate, because again, volunteers are NOT officers and are instructed not to act like one.
Would you need a CCW if in the wilderness?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You need to follow the gun laws of the state you are in.

The thing is, that gun, if you are to use it effectively, by definition can't be concealed -- it needs to be in your hand or at your hip, to respond to some urgent situation you find yourself in. The CC is necessary if you intend to have it on your person but not obvious.

I never bothered to carry, and never do, and never will. That's my choice, and now that I am not SAR and unlikely to either be tracking a felon or happening across the grows (those tend to be below treeline, way off trail, not where I go to backpack) I feel absolutely no need whatsoever to have one.

There were design changes to our uniform, among them changes to patches, in progress when I resigned -- we were taking off anything that meant we might be mistaken for officers. There is more risk to being law enforcement in some locales.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

AT.. Not in SAR anymore? A loss. and if i do carry, it's on my hip (I don't do that a lot because not a lot to hurt me out there, except black pipe), or during hunting season on my chest. Yes, hunting license.