Aramark

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Aramark

Post by markskor »

Just now returned Tuolumne and Valley...some interesting news -
The last year's "free" hiker bus (Valley - TM) will now cost $14.50/pp - one way. YARTS ($9) is much cheaper.
The local TM shuttle - hiker drop-off bus (Olmsted Point - TM store) will now also have a nominal fee attached. No price announced yet, or how they will collect...
The Valley shuttle buses - Valley loop - seems less buses running - now only runs every 15 - 20 minutes in peak hours...every 30 on the off-hours...lots of disgruntled riders/ crowds on each stop.

First impression...Not so impressed with this new Aramark company...does not appear to be "hiker friendly."
Or maybe, they just don't understand Yosemite yet...sigh. :\
Mountainman who swims with trout
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Aramark

Post by The Other Tom »

I guess now we know how they made the lowest bid :(
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

There was a free hiker bus?????

I paid for that years ago -- was DNC not supposed to charge?
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I have had mixed experience with Aramark. The people on the phone and who I directly interacted with have been friendly, knowledgeable, and quite helpful. The facilities, how things operate, and prices have been far less than even adequate.

I suggest we all keep track of our experiences with Aramark in Yosemite this year and write identical letters to Don Neaubacher (Yosemite Superintendent), Jonathan Jarvis (NPS Director) and Sally Jewel (Department of Interior) describing what occurred. It's the only way I can see to maybe force Aramark to improve their service. It's obviously already not what we want or even require.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Aramark (maybe a Marriott co in disguise) used to, or still does have the monopoly on airport concessions before Marriott took over. I remember dismal service by ballagoolas and high prices.
GREAT idea on the letters at the end of the season. Don't know what/how things would change; because a contract is a contract and they will have to run it out or buy them out. Unless they violate the terms; it's a contract.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

markskor -- Do you know what the schedule for the no-longer-free bus will be?

AlmostThere -- It was new last year, or maybe the year before, I'm not sure. I think it was 2-3 runs per day in addition to YARTS.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Talked with the Village transportation kiosk guy, (the one behind the Village store) yesterday. (BTW, was 101º in the Valley)...asked him same question. He looked in his big Daily transportation book...(lol...his bible he said), - was not there. He surmised that the bus not yet running...probably will start/coincide with water being turned on/TM campground opening ~ June 10th.
He looked further, found a memo stating prices but no mention of times...yet.
Stay tuned.
Mountainman who swims with trout
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Thanks. It sounds like they don't even know what they're doing yet.

I tried using the NPS website public tranport page and it linked to a third party site and a dead end.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Thanks for keeping your eyes open, Mark! Good to have these insiders on the board...
—B²
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I just saw this post on another forum:
They plan to run once-a-day buses from the Valley to T.M. and back from June 10 - Sept 20.

The bus will depart the former Curry Village at 8:00 a.m, Yosemite Village at 8:05 a.m. and Yosemite Lodge at 8:20 a.m.

Returning from Tuolumne, the bus will stop at the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge, and at the T.M. Store in the early afternoon, around 2. Ish.
So the mid-summer bus options appear to be 8am (Aramark) or 5pm (YARTS) from the Valley and 10am (YARTS) or 2pm (Aramark) from TM.