Retreat of Yosemite Glaciers

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Retreat of Yosemite Glaciers

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NPS:
Yosemite’s glaciers have been the subject of study since John Muir first confirmed their presence in 1871. Since that time, many scientists have returned to the glaciers to document their condition and observe changes in the ice. This animation brings together more than 130 years of data to show the retreat of Yosemite's two remaining glaciers, the Lyell and Maclure, from 1883 to 2015. Note how the drought and warm temperatures of the past four years have greatly accelerated their retreat. This winter's near-average snowfall is a welcome change, but even a major snowfall year like 2011 (178% of average) does not add substantial mass to these glaciers—it only slows their retreat.

Check out the retreat of the Maclure and Lyell glaciers from 1883 to 2016 animation near the bottom of the page. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Re: Retreat of Yosemite Glaciers

Post by ERIC »

Link please. :)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Thanks for the link Mav.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost