Inyo NF controlled burn 2/29 - 3/1

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Inyo NF controlled burn 2/29 - 3/1

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
Fire crews plan to burn 127 acres of piles over two days (today and tomorrow), weather and air quality conditions permitting. The project is west of Wilson Butte, ¼ mile west of Hwy. 395, and 2.5 miles south of June Lake south junction. Smoke will be visible along Hwy. 395 south of June Lake and from the community of June Lake.

Pile burning provides essential fuel reduction in these fire-prone communities. These piles are just west of Hwy. 395 and crews will have to closely monitor the smoke crossing the highway by the prevailing winds. Crews plan a deliberate pace to pile burning in this location to address this concern.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Inyo NF controlled burn 2/29 - 3/1

Post by rlown »

I wish they'd do more. controlled burns that is..
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

FS, NPS, & BLM would too. It is not the lack of will, it is too many barriers and regulations hindering prescribed burning.

Repeal the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, ESA, NEPA, increase the budget, and give managers immunity from civil prosecution for escapes and they will be happy to increase the amount of burning.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I disagree with Dave a little, clearly budget needs to be increased. But I would suggest that tweaking the regs a bit and maybe some laws would be more appropriate than abandoning them.

My frustration after 16 years of doing NEPA is that no one, especially the government attorneys, really followed the letter of NEPA and made things much more complex than it had to be. The law and associated regs were reasonable but the implementation by the Forest Service and BLM was flawed.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!