Sketchbook 2016

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sketchbook 2016

Post by markskor »

Just a few pen and ink additions - Club Med - (home of the Twilight Lounge), Minaret crest, Matthes crest, and elephant
ImageImage
Mountainman who swims with trout
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Dang! Where DID you see the elephant?!? I've been looking for one all over the Sierra but never had a glimpse. Saw what I figured had to be footprints one time, but never the actual beast. They must be very shy...
—B²
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

BSquared wrote:Dang! Where DID you see the elephant?!? I've been looking for one all over the Sierra but never had a glimpse. Saw what I figured had to be footprints one time, but never the actual beast. They must be very shy...

BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

It does NOT take much of a biologist to see that that is not an elephant: it is a mammoth. What Mark sketched is clearly an elephant. Note the difference in pellage and tuskage. On the other hand, the beast you photographed does appear to live in close proximity to where I saw the prints (I believe it was in the Thousand-Island Lake area), and I notice that you've cleverly caught it with one foot in the air, so presumably it does walk. Perhaps I misidentified the prints and it was actually those of this mammoth that I saw. But then where did the elephant that Mark sketched come from? Clearly more research is needed.
—B²
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

BSquared wrote:But then where did the elephant that Mark sketched come from? Clearly more research is needed.
Inquiring minds want to know? Just to quell your confusion B²...no, the elephant was not actually observed during in my frequent Sierra roamings. Fact is, Jamie, the head "bossman" of the entire Tuolumne complex (and the person responsible for hiring my sorry ass last spring), seen here in the Twilight Lounge, has a thing for elephants. To stay in her good graces, (and to insure another seasons employment next year?)...I did a few pen-n-ink elephant renderings for her. The one posted came out pretty nice...thus shown here above. Next summer, if you're in the Tuolumne Store...drop in and say hi to all.
Mark
Jamie and Guillermo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

You're way better than I am, but here's how I am keeping busy in the rainy weather...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Not bad.. Not bad at all!!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

All these sketches are great.
Balzaccom - is that Crown Lake?
-Phil
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

School out for three weeks...keeping busy
yellow snag framed.jpg
IMG_1079.jpg
IMG_1079.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

IMG_1086 (2).jpg
more idle time -