Dogs in Wilderness | High Sierra Topix  

Dogs in Wilderness

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.

Re: Dogs in Wilderness

Postby cefire » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:22 pm

As a dog owner, avid hiker, and (mostly) rule-follower: Leash your dog

Leash your dog when it is not well-behaved
Leash your dog when it is well-behaved
Leash your dog when it is required
You decide when it is not required (see below)

Somewhere between 5-10 times now, my dog has been attacked by "friendly" dogs. Dogs are animals, and (like humans) their behavior is variable. Friendly and well-behaved in some contexts, aggressive and captured by impulse in other contexts. As has been mentioned, a dog bite is no small thing when in the backcountry. In the normative instance, the owner will say "he/she never does that!". This may be true, however, all of these "one-off" instances add up. Each dog may only contribute one negative episode but owners fail to consider the aggregate influence.

There seems to be a lot of justification in this thread ("MY" dog mostly obeys me, my dog is almost always friendly/well-behaved/etc.) and a lot of this justification is probably, well...largely justified. However, let's not pretend we can predict how our dogs will behave in every situation. We underestimate the unpredictability of behavior, ergo leash your dog.

Take your dog along! But leash it \:D/
Last edited by cefire on Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cefire
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dogs in Wilderness

Postby cefire » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:27 pm

I guess I should post a shot of my leashed peak-bagging companion:

cefire
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Previous

Return to The Campfire