Letting off some steam | High Sierra Topix  

Letting off some steam

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
User avatar

Letting off some steam

Postby Mradford » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:37 pm

This weekend was my first, and probably only, weekend spent in the Sierra this year. No backpacking but day hikes from multiple trail heads. I was completely blown away and disgusted by the amount of trash in the back country. Not just the typical pieces of toilet paper either, but fishing line, food bags, sandals, fishing line, rope and a pot from a failed hanging food bag attempt, beer cans, tuna cans, and did I mention FISHING LINE. I mean dang, I knew it was bad but this weekend really made me upset. Apparently the Jazz festival brings the worst people up to the mountains.


Sorry but I was really shocked by it.

[r/img]Image[r/img]
My buddy decided to climb up and cut down the rope and pot.
Last edited by Mradford on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
Mradford
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Irvine
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Letting off some steam

Postby Mradford » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:39 pm

Maybe a HST meetup and trail clean up is in order?
User avatar
Mradford
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Irvine
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Letting off some steam

Postby rlown » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:03 pm

How do you really feel? ;)

It's almost a losing battle. If "they" don't care, it won't change.

Thank you and your buddy for an attempt at cleaning up.

FISHING LINE! agree and ugh!
User avatar
rlown
Topix Junkie
 
Posts: 5329
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: Petaluma and Wilton, CA
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

User avatar

Re: Letting off some steam

Postby dave54 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:46 pm

For some reason fishing line is one of my pet peeves -- more than any other form of trash. My wife gets mad at me when I carry out bags and bags of old line and tackle. She also rolls her eyes when I get down on hands and knees looking for that 1" piece of line end I accidentally dropped after cutting off.

I also cut down all rope and wire I find in trees.

On the plus side -- I did find a full six pack of beer sitting in an ice cold stream, no one else around. Since it was a really hot day and I just finished a long hard day of hiking with a heavy pack.... I enjoyed that trash find!
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
User avatar
dave54
Founding Member
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:24 pm
Location: where the Sierras, Cascades, and Great Basin meet.
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Letting off some steam

Postby Mradford » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:45 pm

dave54 wrote:For some reason fishing line is one of my pet peeves -- more than any other form of trash.

On the plus side -- I did find a full six pack of beer sitting in an ice cold stream, no one else around. Since it was a really hot day and I just finished a long hard day of hiking with a heavy pack.... I enjoyed that trash find!

Mine too. I can't stand it. It's pure laziness! Put that crap in your pack and take it out. It's insane.

Haha awesome. Hopefully it was someone who had left fishing line in the back country before!
User avatar
Mradford
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Irvine
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Letting off some steam

Postby freestone » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:44 am

Maybe a HST meetup and trail clean up is in order?


At this location? Yeah, maybe so. I think there was an earlier thread on making a case to show a relationship between regional fishing pressure and trash.
User avatar
freestone
Topix Expert
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:42 pm
Location: Santa Barbara
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

User avatar

Re: Letting off some steam

Postby Jimr » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:39 am

Fishing line is my pet peeve as well. I have shirt pockets full of it between mine and others. I forget it's there until I happen to pick some up and find I forgot to empty the pocket from the last trip.

In 1991, I took my wife to Rae Lake, then Hell For Sure Pass. I had been trying to convince her that she didn't need to carry her little cuticle scissors because I had a knife. Well, we were fishing the lake and came across something flopping around in a bush. It turned out to be a rather large bird tangled in fishing line. I caught the bird and tried to cut the fishing line away when my wife pulled out her scissors and carefully cut it away. It was released unharmed, but would have been a dead bird had we not happened upon it that day.

It's the littlest of stuff that bothers me the most because it is so easy to pack out. Almost more effort to throw it on the ground.
What?!
User avatar
Jimr
Topix Fanatic
 
Posts: 1122
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:14 pm
Location: Redondo Beach
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

User avatar

Re: Letting off some steam

Postby Mradford » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Jimr wrote: Well, we were fishing the lake and came across something flopping around in a bush. It turned out to be a rather large bird tangled in fishing line. I caught the bird and tried to cut the fishing line away when my wife pulled out her scissors and carefully cut it away. It was released unharmed, but would have been a dead bird had we not happened upon it that day.


I had a similar situation on the lower owens a few years back. I heard and saw something crazy moving in the bushes. Turns out it was a hawk stuck in braided fishing line, which is the worst! We were able to cut him loose, put him in a bag, and called the animal rescue just south of Bishop. He was released a week later. :)
User avatar
Mradford
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Irvine
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Letting off some steam

Postby Mradford » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:15 pm

freestone wrote:
At this location? Yeah, maybe so. I think there was an earlier thread on making a case to show a relationship between regional fishing pressure and trash.

I wouldn't doubt it. I do feel as if there is easy access to decent fishing, the trails are more likely to get trashed. Take a look at any of the drive up rivers and lakes in the Eastern Sierra. Most of them are completely littered with cans and power bait!
User avatar
Mradford
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Irvine
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Letting off some steam

Postby Mradford » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:16 pm

rlown wrote:How do you really feel? ;)

Haha, let me tell you something!! :soapbox:
- Fire Marshall Bill
User avatar
Mradford
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Irvine
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Letting off some steam

Postby dave54 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:45 pm

Mradford wrote:
dave54 wrote:For some reason fishing line is one of my pet peeves -- more than any other form of trash.

On the plus side -- I did find a full six pack of beer sitting in an ice cold stream, no one else around. Since it was a really hot day and I just finished a long hard day of hiking with a heavy pack.... I enjoyed that trash find!

Mine too. I can't stand it. It's pure laziness! Put that crap in your pack and take it out. It's insane.

Haha awesome. Hopefully it was someone who had left fishing line in the back country before!


I am assuming a horse packer left it. Unfortunately, they were bottles and the trash pack out was a hassle. The price I paid was still worth it. :)

While paddling the Klamath Marsh we had a duck tangled in fishing line. Not all that easy to fix in a canoe with a dog. Perseverance prevailed and one very relieved Grebe paddled off into the tules.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
User avatar
dave54
Founding Member
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:24 pm
Location: where the Sierras, Cascades, and Great Basin meet.
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Letting off some steam

Postby Mradford » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:07 pm

dave54 wrote:
While paddling the Klamath Marsh we had a duck tangled in fishing line. Not all that easy to fix in a canoe with a dog. Perseverance prevailed and one very relieved Grebe paddled off into the tules.


Oh man, glad to hear you able to help it out. Glad to hear that most of the folks on here have the same mindset about removing the trash you find when you can. I do the same thing at my local surf spot. Crazy how people don't take care of public spaces.
User avatar
Mradford
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Irvine
Experience: N/A

Next

Return to The Campfire



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests