What happen to our adventure spirit?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: What happen to our adventure spirit?

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I drive a '69 VW camper so just getting to the TH can be an adventure. :) - :eek: - [-o< - ](*,) - [-o< - :D
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

LOL, a '69 VW is like oldranger "can do anything he used to, it just takes a hell of a lot longer!" :littledevil:
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I am going to file a minority report here. I have seen a number of young people on the trail over the past few years, and they all seem to be having some kind of adventure. I think that many of them were raised in families that never left the comfort of their suburban home, vacationed in hotels, or maybe stayed in a campground. For these young people to tackle a backpacking trip, even with GPS and a solar charger, is much more of an adventure for them than a four day off-trail hike would be for my wife and me.

Let's give some of these folks a break. They are learning as they go, and by definition, that makes their experiences adventures!

And we need them. We need them to fall in love with the wilderness, so they will vote to protect it in the future!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

+1 on that Balzaccom. I saw a variety of young adults and kids on the JMT this year. Thanks to "Wild" maybe?
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

The lake at Arrow Creek was a pretty good adventure for Mike and I. I didn't take a camera. Damn! I"d like someone to show pics here of the two lakes below Arrow Peak on the Woods Creek side.
The lake under Eagle Scout Lake was a good adventure for us too. Again I did'nt take a camera. I wish someone would take pics of this place too. Hiking up the creek the scenry to the ridge on the right was absolutly spectacular. Not AMAZING but spectacular.