Extreme athlete Dean Potter dies in BASE jumping accident

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Extreme athlete Dean Potter dies in BASE jumping acciden

Post by markskor »

Just a thought - why not be totally transparent - both sides. Accept and consider having a new regulation - having all those "flying" - a mandatory inspection and registration of all chutes and wing suits (just like a permit) for use when in the park...addresses safety and numbers...maybe a small fee to cover SAR?

With all the great climbers/craziness of the SAR personnel... IMHO - best of the best. Find someone from there competent and fair, just to keep tabs/ organize ...A Wing Suit Ranger?
Mountainman who swims with trout
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

"Both sides, Line in the sand, Nanny state, Glad you are not here"

Wow, I'm not on either side, and also think it's wonderful that Yosemite means so much to so many. Surely the Park Superintendent will give serious consideration to any and all ideas that can safely enhance the Park experience. I have my own list of requests to make as well, but it has nothing to do with flying suits, or the fact that two young men lost their lives... so better left for another day. My circus comment was just a lighthearted observation, not a value judgement, but I must admit, I have avoided the Park for some years now because that. I certainly respect those that are not bothered by it and can creatively thrive as well.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

sparky wrote:They didnt have a death wish...quite the opposite.
Sparky, I like your perspective.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

A friend of mine tells me he was up climbing El Cap the Monday before the accident. He said that while he and his partner were descending the fixed rappel ropes on the East Ledges descent, someone was heading up the fixed lines with parachute and squirrel suit, probably headed for a quick evening descent from El Cap. My friend believes it was Graham Hunt, the guy who died along with Dean.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org