I Discovered Bob Burd's Secret

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

I Discovered Bob Burd's Secret

Post by Vaca Russ »

Many have read the climbing reports of this legendary climber and have wondered how he covers so much ground so quickly. Altitude, scree, bushwacking, deep snow, broken gear...none of this matters to Bob Burd.

Many imagined he flew like a "Burd".

Nope, he drops acid. ](*,)

Here is a link to his report about climbing Mt. Lincoln on March 26, 1994.

http://snwburd.com/bob/trip_reports/lincoln_1.html

From this post:

"Though still March, there were many bare patches along the wind-swept ridgetop, and we had to hunt a little to find a connecting route on snow. We had taken some acid back at the beginning of the hike in and it was now starting to take full effect. Eric and I had used LSD a number of times in the past, but this was Steve's first experience with it, and he was getting caught up in it. After reaching Mt. Lincoln and onto the backside, the snow was softer since there was much more sun exposure here. The snowshoes were indeed helpful, but we would sink in a good ways, getting more of a workout than expected. I had gone ahead and dropped my pack, then came back to help Steve out who was struggling. Once lightened of his pack he found the going far more enjoyable, and he was able to appreciate the effects of the drug in a more positive light. He was struck by the beauty of tiny flowers that were just emerging from the harsh winter, and lying in a prone position to gain a better view, he marveled up close at their delicate countenance. Eric and I watched him for a few minutes trying not to laugh out loud, until he looked up and asked in all seriousness, "So, do you think I'm high yet?" Assuring him that the drug had indeed taken effect, he tried to draw us into his discourse on the wonder of nature expressed in the tiny flora. But I didn't want to get drawn into his world of tiny flowers, preferring to enjoy the greater sense of beauty I found in the larger winter scene, I left him with the comment, "Sorry Steve, that's your trip, not mine."

Now we know! :unibrow:

JMHO

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: I Discovered Bob Burd's Secret

Post by seanr »

There were no human tracks to follow while up on Olancha Peak and Cardinal Mountain after last week's snow, but plenty of other tracks to ponder.

A bobcat sighting inspired me to emulate or even surpass Bob's pace down on lower trail sections, but up in the high scrambles I slowed substantially when the boulders began moving and talking to me.

That darn hare strategy fails me every time!