Thieves Ransack / Loot MTR, Florence Store, Other Buildings

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Thieves Ransack / Loot MTR, Florence Store, Other Buildi

Post by fishmonger »

RoguePhotonic wrote:That's certainly crazy that it happened all the way out at the ranch. Did VVR or Mono Resort get hit?
I know that Mono Resort has a year round caretaker who spends the winter up there.
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

Crime has fallen over the past twenty years. The Florence Store being ransacked is a terrible thing, not a reason to opine about liberalism, conservatism, minority groups, movies, novels, guns, or anything else.
One reason I enjoy backpacking is how it puts things in perspective. Travel in geological time -- with the ancient peaks .and valleys all around you -- for a while and you see how petty most of your worries are.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Ssssshhhh!!!! The fact that crime in America is nearing a historical low does not fit into the media's fear agenda!
87TT
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by 87TT »

Crime has not fallen in the last twenty years, Just the liberal definition of crime. IE proposition 47. Things like Meth and Heroin are just minor offenses. Theft of a gun is a slap on the wrist misdemeanor, With all the governor's re-alignment of State Prison, convicted felons are doing little or no time for "property" crimes like theft. Drug use and the crimes that fund it are "social" problems and need to be dealt with by "understanding" and "counseling". The victims of crime are the only ones punished. :soapbox:
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Pietro257 wrote:Crime has fallen over the past twenty years. The Florence Store being ransacked is a terrible thing, not a reason to opine about liberalism, conservatism, minority groups, movies, novels, guns, or anything else.
One reason I enjoy backpacking is how it puts things in perspective. Travel in geological time -- with the ancient peaks .and valleys all around you -- for a while and you see how petty most of your worries are.
Well said, I couldn't agree more!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Theft of a gun is a slap on the wrist misdemeanor
Being caught with a stolen or illegal handgun (same thing) is a felony in California. I checked recently because I decided that the process required to get a CCW in California was too oppressive and expensive with a high chance of being rejected for all your work so I decided to live by the saying that when freedom is outlawed become a criminal so when I feel like carrying I just do so illegally. I wanted to know what the charges would be if I am caught doing so. For me a misdemeanor (legal handgun / clean record).

Also when I say crime has fallen I have not dug into California statistics. I am talking strictly about the FBI crime data published every year showing a continuing trend of declining crime across the U.S. as a whole.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Considering the LAPD has been caught fudging crime statistics that information might be hard to come by. I know my city has very low crime, one of the lowest in southern california. I believe it as it is very mellow here. I looked at crime statistics for the city I just moved from almost a year ago and frankly I don't believe the "average" crime stats for that area.
87TT
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by 87TT »

[quote
Being caught with a stolen or illegal handgun (same thing) is a felony in California. I checked recently because I decided that the process required to get a CCW in California was too oppressive and expensive with a high chance of being rejected for all your work so I decided to live by the saying that when freedom is outlawed become a criminal so when I feel like carrying I just do so illegally. I wanted to know what the charges would be if I am caught doing so. For me a misdemeanor (legal handgun / clean record).
][/quote]

Check again. After proposition 47, theft of or possession of a stolen gun valued under $950.00 is a misdemeanor. Thank you liberal trial lawyers.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

87TT wrote:
Check again. After proposition 47, theft of or possession of a stolen gun valued under $950.00 is a misdemeanor. Thank you liberal trial lawyers.
Way off topic.. But, I would hire someone who likes the Wintertime up there as a caretaker. Jack Nicholson comes to mind :)

As for the CCW, this was a fairly good write-up on the process. http://www.shouselaw.com/concealed-weapon.html#4.2

(NOT AN ENDORSEMENT for the law firm; just a good write-up)

Rogue, which of the first 4 bullet points scare you about the process?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

The CCW permit ain't happening. Not in California.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.