Happy Birthday Eric!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Happy Birthday Eric!

Post by giantbrookie »

Happy Birthday, Eric. One may have to redefine where the crest of the hill is, in fact.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

John,

"Over the hill" is at the point when you no longer consider doing some of the things you didn't think twice about doing when you were younger. For me it was realizing that hiking from Tuolume meadows to Virginia Canyon in a day was not something I would do any more. Though in 1980 I did it starting about noon and carrying 65 lbs because I was beginning a 3 week trip with no resupply. Last summer when in Mammoth I gazed up at the Bloody Mountain Couloir and the chutes on Dragontail and realized that they were now beyond my current skiing prowess. I don't think there is a particular age and we all age differently.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Nicely put, Mike.
—B²
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Skydiving was a kick. I still look and feel young; the other side of the hill comment wasn't serious.

Something else we did this weekend was drive and explore the lower Sierra by car. We hadn't spent much time around lower SF Stanislaus or lower NF Tuolumne and there's a lot of really scenic driving around there. Wards Ferry Road on the way to Groveland is fantastic right now. Lots of wildflowers.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix