Equine Partners Saddle Up to Help Protect CA Natural Resourc

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Equine Partners Saddle Up to Help Protect CA Natural Resourc

Post by rlown »

from https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2014/12/ ... resources/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Media Contact:
Janice Mackey, CDFW Communications, (916) 322-8908
Wildlife officers at the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) are turning to an age-old enforcement tool – the horse – to help protect California’s natural resources.

While there is no formal mounted patrol unit, some wildlife officers are using their own personal horses for routine patrol in the back country. Much like canine partners, horses can see, hear and go places faster and quieter than modern technology. Covering up to 20 miles a day, equine patrols can show up where you least expect them, even in the most adverse conditions.

“As a 25-year law enforcement professional, I have used a variety of tools in my career and my six-year old mustang is by far, one of the most practical resources at my disposal,” said CDFW Wildlife Officer Jerry Karnow. “I can cover many miles a day in locations not accessible by any vehicle, which includes a huge portion of California’s outback. As a mounted unit, I have confiscated illegal firearms, helped hikers find their way, put out illegal campfires and made arrests in crimes that would otherwise go unnoticed.”

More at the article pointer above.