Think the new movie "Wild" will have any impact?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Think the new movie "Wild" will have any impact?

Post by AlmostThere »

It may entice people to start the trail. Fame of whatever kind being the lure. No guarantees any of them will get far.

A couple of people I know who did a thru were changed but not for the better. It's almost as though they have a kind of disdain for measly three day weekends.

I doubt I would make a very good thru hiker. I've had no aspirations that way and doubt that I ever will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Pacific Crest Trail expects more hikers thanks to 'Wild'

http://www.fredericksburg.com/entertain ... 8b179.html
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

This was in Saturday's New York Times. It's an interesting read. The title is "What Wild Has Wrought. The comments are also worth checking out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/opini ... egion&_r=0
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Met 4 PCT section hikers last night at Odell lake in Oregon. All 4 were motivated to hike at least part of the trail because of seeing "Wild." Two were a young couple from Iceland. I said I thought Oregon was the most boring part of the PCT, just lots of forest. The young man responded "We're from Iceland, we don't get to see many trees! This is great, I've probably seen more trees since I've been in Oregon than I've seen in my whole life!"

There you go! Just depends on your perspective!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Re: Think the new movie

Post by Tom_H »

AlmostThere wrote:A couple of people I know who did a thru were changed but not for the better. It's almost as though they have a kind of disdain for measly three day weekends
I haven't done a thru, but did spend a number of summers leading 15-18 day trips with 2 days in between for turn-around. It does make your body become exceptionally lean and strong, particularly carrying first-aid/repair gear, extra fuel for the entire party, loads of climbing gear and often taking weight from newbies so they can make it. I got to the point that my body didn't even feel right with the pack off. It was like it had become part of me and I felt too light and off balance with the thing off. You also lose track of what day of the week or month it is. You're separated from the strictures of the civilized world and there's a completely different set of what matters and doesn't matter. So yea, I came to feel that I couldn't actually get into a real "wilderness experience" in only a handful of days. Not a disdain for short trips, but quite a different experience in what the longer ones induce psychologically. The long ones give more feel of isolation, tranquility, and living a bit like the pioneers did long ago.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I DVR'd the movie the other night. Struggled to watch it because it's not so much about hiking as it is about personal struggles. There were good moments in the film where at Kennedy Meadows the helpful cook tried to help cull her pack. The rest of the movie really sucked. I Did appreciate the scene where she kicked her MSR fuel can.. umm, just wrong harassing something that could actually save your life if you know how to work it beforehand. And she was off trail alot, meaning in town or at an angels house.

I think the impact will be short lived.

I liked the "Into the Wild" movie better.