National Park Art?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

National Park Art?

Post by markskor »

As posted by Rumi, taken from backpacker.com -

"...some people feel like they are entitled. Here one “artist” seems intent on using NPs and other backcountry/historical locations as her own canvas".
http://www.modernhiker.com/2014/10/21/i ... nal-parks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: National Park Art?

Post by rlown »

arrest her. charge her. (make sure she pays her entrance fee at least :) )
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

This is all over the internet. Apparently NPS is investigating.

In an article you get from the blog post, you get a review of other cases of random acts of wanton idiocy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/05/us/as ... d=all&_r=1&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

random acts of wanton idiocy.
Great encapsulation. I'd like for them to bill her for the clean-up costs.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I think I'll chose not to be self righteous. Just thought I'd lighten things up a bit. For me this is not worth me getting angry. I can remember just one thing en 500 days in the backcountry that bothered me and I saw this several times - soap suds in pristine lakes. I took baths in lakes all the time but I did it with a wash cloth and no soap.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

What I posted as Yahoo News, Comments, and at the Backpacker mag site:

Graffiti in our parks has been an increasing problem for years in the Southwest, especially in California. Because juveniles are often perpetrators of graffiti, the media cannot name them due to our very lame state law, a law the majority of our citizens strongly disagree with, then courts don’t give them jail time. Because it is viewed as Cool in Hip Hop culture, which tends to encourage and delight in anti-social behaviors that bother the rest of us, it has a focused ethnic demographic, though it is not pc for media to mention such.

So it is likely among her peers, only that she was caught that will be criticized. This is what the media needs to denounce as unacceptable by blaming those of that sub-culture which would likely make some of them respond and then talk about it within their own online communities. One could predict there would be elements within those communities that would also denounce defacing our treasured parks thus potentially actually making an impact on the small minded which think anything BAAAD is ok behavior.

That some are taking their urban behaviors out into the outdoors ought not surprise. Thus society continuing to ignore what goes on in urban areas for the sake of political correctness will guaranty more destruction.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

right, because it is so self-righteous to expect people to respect public property and not mess it up for the rest of us that actually enjoy going out there and experiencing it as it is without embellishment. The implication being that somehow we all have done something similar? I don't think so. I don't graffiti my home, my neighborhood, my school campus, my job site, or anyone else's property. it's a perfectly acceptable practice in the 'hood, one for which I have disdain because it just tells me once again that the age-old practice of respect and a sense of right and wrong are dying, and we can kiss a sense of community responsibility goodbye. It's all for one and one for no one but me - I'm the center of the universe these days. so why not go climb to the top of somebody else's skyscraper and paint your name in big letters? It's "art" after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

wow
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

there is a decorum to life. it's not about defacement. I agree with everything AT just said.

There is this guy, Brad who comments on all the crime stories in our local paper's website.

His response to most is "Oak Tree". I would agree with that approach for this person.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There is a place for "landscape art", with proper permission and permits. But NOT permanent "art" in our national parks! Not like that. I think there was at one time a "vertical dance" performed on some Yosemite wall. That left no permanent damage and was approved.

The whole thing about being above the "rules" and then self-promoting such bad behavior on social media, is really to me a reflection of what is currently shown on the media - think reality shows and glorification of selfishness and narcissism.

We saw a silly face on a rock at Alabama Hills last week when down there. Could this be some of this "art"?