Do you speak up...or walk on by...?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Do you speak up...or walk on by...?

Post by rlown »

not gonna do the ABCDEF thing. It's pretty simple. You size up who you're dealing with and decide the next step. i like to speak up, unless they are better armed at the time than I am. So, I guess I like G.

I make it up as I go.

Agree completely that Dinkey is out of control. If you're starting a fire at Paris out in French, I will talk to you!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Do you speak up...or walk on by...?

Post by oldranger »

Having been a ranger I now have a problem with dealing with these kind of issues in the backcountry. Like Daisy most of my time is either early in the season with no one else out or I'm off trail. So I generally never have an opportunity to confront transgressors and if I did meet up with one it is unlikely that I would do anything unless their action directly impacted me. I will speak up if I think someone may be endangering themselves or someone in their party. A couple of weeks ago as Kathy and I were finishing a day hike the day before the start of hunting season. We met a young woman with a little girl obviously hiking in for an overnighter. I passed then turned around and asked if they had any blaze orange gear. She said no and I informed her that the next day was the start of hunting season. She had no idea but continued on despite my warning. Last year Mark and I ran into a pair of hikers just a half mile up the Pine Creek Trail. One was obviously in distress and way behind the first. We suggested to the first hiker that he consider waiting until the following morning when it would be much cooler. But he said his friend would tough it out. Ah well, so much for trying to be helpful.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!