Unmanned Aircraft to be Prohibited in America’s National Par

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Unmanned Aircraft to be Prohibited in America’s National Par

Post by rlown »

More of a heads up about drones in the NPS: http://home.nps.gov/news/release.htm?id=1601" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WASHINGTON – National Park Service Director Jonathan B. Jarvis today signed a policy memorandum that directs superintendents nationwide to prohibit launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service.

“We embrace many activities in national parks because they enhance visitor experiences with the iconic natural, historic and cultural landscapes in our care,” Jarvis said. “However, we have serious concerns about the negative impact that flying unmanned aircraft is having in parks, so we are prohibiting their use until we can determine the most appropriate policy that will protect park resources and provide all visitors with a rich experience.”

Unmanned aircraft have already been prohibited at several national parks. These parks initiated bans after noise and nuisance complaints from park visitors, an incident in which park wildlife were harassed, and park visitor safety concerns.

Last September, an unmanned aircraft flew above evening visitors seated in the Mount Rushmore National Memorial Amphitheater. Park rangers concerned for visitors’ safety confiscated the unmanned aircraft.

In April, visitors at Grand Canyon National Park gathered for a quiet sunset, which was interrupted by a loud unmanned aircraft flying back and forth and eventually crashing in the canyon. Later in the month, volunteers at Zion National Park witnessed an unmanned aircraft disturb a herd of bighorn sheep, reportedly separating adults from young animals.

The policy memorandum directs park superintendents to take a number of steps to exclude unmanned aircraft from national parks. The steps include drafting a written justification for the action, ensuring compliance with applicable laws, and providing public notice of the action.
more at the link above.

Not sure if the wilderness areas are impacted.

If you want a personal drone, do a search on google for personal drone. I liked the http://www.thepocketdrone.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (gopro camera extra).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Unmanned Aircraft to be Prohibited in America’s National Par

Post by maverick »

Thanks Russ, they are allowed in the NF, and in the areas of interest, did check out
the legal sides of things prior to posting. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

NF Wilderness is still not clear.

There are existing federal aviation regulations for aircraft over wilderness. How drones fit into the existing regs is undetermined.

Until the legal fog is cleared regulation is needed.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Dave54 wrote:
Here is the "No Fly Zone Map", the only area near the Minarets, which is the area
of interest in my case is DPNM, and then YNP and SEKI NP according to his map. http://exotichikes.com/drone-ban-in-ame ... nal-parks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

we know why your asking for the drone, and it's noble. regardless of the map, you have to declare you're using a drone, and why. According to the NPS, you have to be LE or SAR. You are not.

NFS might be different or if you have permission. I don't think it's ok to ask people who are civilians to join a search. That is SAR or LE stuff.

Russ
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

maverick wrote:
Dave54 wrote:
Here is the "No Fly Zone Map", the only area near the Minarets, which is the area
of interest in my case is DPNM, and then YNP and SEKI NP according to his map. http://exotichikes.com/drone-ban-in-ame ... nal-parks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anybody can make a map and post it on the internet. I would not use that map as a defense in court. The issue will not be settled until someone contests a citation in court, though.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Drone over a wilderness area. Could cause this non gun owning person to carry a shotgun, if they weren't so damn heavy. I'm almost glad that my backpacking days are nearing an end as the definition of wilderness becomes more and more altered as we feel a need to reduce risk and uncertainty in our lives.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I can neither confirm nor deny that I saw your drone. Sorry you lost it.

:snipe: :whistle:
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

AlmostThere wrote:I can neither confirm nor deny that I saw your drone. Sorry you lost it.

:snipe: :whistle:
Exactly. No drones. Aircraft crossing the Sierras at 30000 feet plus is one thing, drones buzzing you in the wilderness, ridiculous.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

In actuality, the personal drones have short ranges and poor battery life, so seeing one flying around for hours taking pictures of you skinny dipping is unlikely. Although, the same sorts of backpackers who would haul an axe and a twelve pack might be likely to throw in a dozen batteries for their toy. Still, if you wreck my peace and quiet with your motorized toy, you put it at risk of finding that I suddenly developed an ability to aim.