Brace for Impact

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
steelcup
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Brace for Impact

Post by steelcup »

markskor wrote:RE: The JMT -
Talking with Jen (Head Ranger Tuolumne) yesterday - 3,000+ Muir permits issued this year SoBo from YNP. Probably close to the same number NoBo.

PCT had over 1800 at the Kickoff.
Still, only 12 people Thursday in the YNP Valley backpacker site overnight and all hikers either JMT or Half Dome bound.
I was there Thursday night and there were far more than 12 people there, and the two groups I talked to were not JMT or HD bound. Were we in the same place? My 'site' alone had 6+ people Thursday night. I could have sworn I heard arguments at midnight about sharing/full bear boxes at another site.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

TehipiteTom wrote:
oldranger wrote:I tend to agree with Almostthere and Troutdog, but the thought of neurotics heading to the Sierra to find a "cure" is disturbing and I suspect will occur.
Of course, we're all perfectly sane. ;)
lol
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

I hope the movie is realistic with a scene like this:

Reese Witherspoon peals off her socks, first the wool outer socks and then the nylon inner ones. Her feet are red-raw with blisters starting to form in various places.

Close up of Witherspoon, a sock dangling before her nose. She sniffs.

"Ick!" she proclaims.

I doubt if this movie will do much to increase the number of backpackers. Surfing is for the beautiful people; backpacking is for the hardy and chapped-skin people with dirty hair.

I would actually welcome more backpackers. I was in the Emigrant Wilderness last week and didn't see many people. Will the Forest Service continue to maintain trails if hardly anyone uses them?
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Quite frankly I suspect, most of the wilderness footage will be second unit scenic footage. Most of the movie will be Reese Witherspoon and Laura Dern (who is playing the mother and probably cost a lot of money). The Reese Witherspoon in the wilderness scenes will be almost entirely her against a blue screen of the second unit footage. And I doubt any interviewer will be willing to ask Witherspoon, "How many days did you actually spend in the wilderness?" (I'm guessing zero--if she ever went on location it was near a town with luxury accomadations and she, the director, and the crew went out for day to shoot shots of her striding along the PCT with a pack on her back, as in the photo on the Slate website.) This is a big dollar Hollywood feature. From the release date, producers are thinking Oscar nominations for Dern (supporting actress) and Witherspoon (actress). The movie won't lead to an influx of new people in the Sierra. It will lead to people who identify with Strayed (the neurotics referred to in previous posts) who will also subject others to their personal issues (but hopefully won't waste S&R people's valuable time dealing with the consequences).
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
intrek38
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by intrek38 »

Any impact from this movie should only be temporary, but everything grows with the population.
Funny how a lot of us fall into this media driven society and are oblivious to it. I think these types of Hollywood movies / books will have an impact though only temporarily. REI should see a surge in sales along with a surge in returns. Maybe I'm wrong, but a lot of newbie backpackers try it once and say never again. However, with every ten that try it, at least one will return again a little smarter & lighter. Even some of our little techies will give it a try.
I don't read much, but I read “Strayed” because of backpacking. Also because of the drug part which unfortunately, strikes an old nerve in a lot of people, including me. The trail does have a way of helping to hash things out though that’s only part of it, but at least it's a step worth taking. As for her book, not what I expected but then that’s Hollywood, buyer beware.
There seems to be a lot more endeavors in PCT movies and the more that gets put into it, the more that gets taken out of it. You don't need a big production company to make an informative film, you need REAL people to splice it all together just right and you need to leave out all the profit motives. Documentary type films on you-tube are about the best I have seen and fortunately you have to be interested enough to search for it.. This one IMOP is the best one so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIvyuaz ... jw&index=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry for getting off the subject..