Wrist Blisters? | High Sierra Topix  

Wrist Blisters?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.

Wrist Blisters?

Postby venturefar » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:05 am

On my last trip I was trying to figure out why a ton of the PCT hikers I saw had their wristwatch attached to one of the shoulder straps on their pack. When I got home and took off my watch to jump in the shower I discovered I had a blister on my wrist under the band of my watch. It never bothered me on the trail and I didn't even notice it until I got home. I can only assume it was caused by the rotation of my wrists while using my trekking poles. Weird. Any one else experience anything like this?

venturefar
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Re: Wrist Blisters?

Postby Jimr » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:44 am

I used to carry a wrist watch strapped to a zipper loop on my pack. I put it there because I never wear a wrist watch and don't particularly like something strapped to my wrist. Perhaps that is their case as well.

These days, I don't bring any sort of time piece. I use the sun.
What?!
Jimr
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby rlown » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:51 am

I've stopped carrying a watch as well in 2009. Only thing important to me when on the trail is "how much light is left" and that can be figured out with the extended arm and finger thing.

Even digital cameras have a clock, so..

If I happen to carry my GPS, it has a clock, and more importantly, a timer for counting down when your freeze dried meal might be ready (yuk!)..

Bummer about the blisters.

Russ
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby maverick » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:03 am

Have never had any wrist blister issues, and do wear a watch, mainly for the
alarm function for my star and sunrise photography. Sometimes also use the
alitimeter function but rarely nowadays.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby oldranger » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:59 pm

What's a watch?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Junkie

Postby Dave_Ayers » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:51 am

I've never gotten a wrist blister, but I do wear the same altimeter/watch both on and off the trail so I'm used to it. While hiking I often strap my altimeter on my pack instead of wearing it on my wrist. The primary reason is to get even tanning and not have a white stripe on the wrist. That way if I don't take the altimeter on a day hike I don't have to worry about sunburned wrist.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Acquainted

Return to The Campfire