Dramatic Yosemite Falls Rescue

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Dramatic Yosemite Falls Rescue

Post by maiathebee »

A hiker slipped into the middle falls of Yosemite Falls and was lucky enough to get himself up onto a rock in the middle of the cascades. He was pulled out via helicopter.

Please be smart about water, everyone. My guess is he was trying to go close to see or take photos. It's not worth your life. He's lucky to be alive.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/Hiker-Sli ... -Falls.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
macchiolives
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Dramatic Yosemite Falls Rescue

Post by macchiolives »

I've done both Yosemite Falls trails from the valley and Yosemite Creek. I've always been too scared to get close to the water when reaching Yosemite Falls. I don't know how people can sit on the ledge over looking the Falls but maybe I'm just a scaredy cat. But that's not to say I haven't made bad decisions. I hiked up Yosemite Falls from the valley once with slip-on vans and no socks. I'll never do that again. But then again, I might of scored points for looking like Spicoli with my long hair (at the time) at the top of the falls. Should've ordered a pizza up there and had it delivered from Curry Village. Good thing the hiker got saved.