Yosemite reminds us that flying robots aren't allowed

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite reminds us that flying robots aren't allowed

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Like all technology, drones can be used for good or bad. Definitely an asset for SAR work. But, all it would take is for a few bad apples to make drones a real annoyance. I too do not want my old wrinkled naked body as I skinny dip or my morning squat to show up on some internet site! I also do not want a drone to be like the traffic cop. I mostly an well behaved in the wilderness, but, do not want to be anxious about being caught if I occasionally slip up. Come back out and you are ticketed for camping 95 feet from water instead of 100 feet. I go to the wilderness to get AWAY from technology and being watched. It would degrade my wilderness experience, even if I did not directly see one on a trip. Technology is also not infallible. I can see it now- "hiker clobbered by malfunctioning drone" or "forest fire started by crashed drone".
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

RoguePhotonic wrote:It's not surprising that a new release would be issued since it's a growing trend to use these drones to make cool movies. Using them in Yosemite Valley could get all sorts of cool views flying up the water falls.
Until everyone has one, and all you are getting is footage of other drones jockeying for position.

All the more reason to stay far, far in the backcountry as you can get.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I remember back when I used to fly RC airplanes more thinking that Death Valley would be a great place to do it. On a nice flat lake bed with no wind in open space but then I was reading on their site that it's illegal.

Actually if you look at the whole list of what is illegal in Death Valley it's both amazing and comical.