Bear Can malfunctions--hikers nearly starve

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Bear Can malfunctions--hikers nearly starve

Post by EpicSteve »

Hehehe... That was awesome! You really had me going on the problem solving before I realized it was an April Fool's joke. But seriously, the Bear Vault is an absolute "bear" to get open when that plastic lid stiffens in cold weather. That's why the story sounded plausible at first! ;)
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Bear Can malfunctions--hikers nearly starve

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I also have had a BearVault lid stick twice. I was a way down into the "story" before the absurdities got so obvious that I realized it was a joke. I forgot it was April Fools day. Good thing I read the whole post! I am a perfect sucker for April Fools jokes.