Owens Valley Zoning Changes

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Owens Valley Zoning Changes

Post by jessegooddog »

On Tuesday the 18th, the 5 Inyo County Supervisors will be voting whether to change 10% of Inyo's county land from open space and agriculture to INDUSTRIAL energy development. This is separate from the DWP's plans to put in huge solar "ranches" on land they own. Please go to our newly formed website http://www.deepestvalley.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and read about these changes which will forever change the landscape that we all love. There is an online petition, and email, addresses and phone numbers for contacting the supervisors. If you are in the area, the meeting starts at 10 am in the Supervisors meeting room next to the Independence courthouse.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Re: Owens Valley Zoning Changes

Post by jessegooddog »

The Board of Supervisors agreed to put off the draft decision until April 1st. Instead, we will have a workshop on the 18th. There is major opposition to this rezoning, and still time to write letters, sign the petition and make phone calls.
Last edited by jessegooddog on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acorad
Topix Regular

Post by acorad »

Signed the petition.

Thanks Jesse.

Andy
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Also signed, please keep us updated Jesse.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Me, too. And thanks for posting this.

While I'm not sure how much influence people who are not actual constituents have, I hope the Deepest Valley people stress both the environmental and economic advantages of rooftop solar, and the possible economic effects on the tourist industry if the landscape is significantly altered. One would think that an area that suffered the consequences of Los Angeles water policy would be extremely wary about something like this.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Signed petition as well. Thanks for alerting us to this issue.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kelbaker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Kelbaker »

Me too, Thank you for this.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Almost everyone I know here in the OV is opposed, the problem is these people don't listen to a word we say, they look down their noses at all the locals and tend to listen to a bulk of people who may never visit the valley. The big money of the big cities trump anything we have to say. It happens time and again, I've been to lots of meeting, I was a board member for the natural resource board and quit because nothing we recommended was ever implemented. We are, sadly, at the mercy of the big dollar lawyers who are paid by lobby groups, none of which reside in the valley. It's sad, discouraging, and seemingly insurmountable problem. LA and San Francisco has the say, not the small guy. ](*,) :thumbsdown:
I'm no suture for my future.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Rockchucker, if I'm reading your post correctly, you are saying the publicly elected Inyo County Board of Supervisors do not listen to their constituents, but rather the big money interests. While in the current corrupt political climate, that is the status quo, those supervisors are elected by the public.

On an issue like this, I've even seen corrupt elected public officials who, when faced with a choice of getting re-elected and retaining their power and position versus not getting re-elected, succumb to the public pressure and telling the big money interests they are better off having them in office and on their side most of the time versus getting someone with a mind of their own who will not be on their side. If the Inyo tourist businesses make clear their opposition and willingness to act on it, then maybe we'll get the right outcome.

And if the Inyo board still votes for it, if the majority of the people in Owens Valley really are opposed to this, then elect a majority to the board who are more responsive to the people of Owens Valley. Yes, to do that will probably require significant public righteous indignation and anger as well as a rather nasty political fight, but it can be done. I know because I've seen it happen. Sometimes, the small guy can win a particular battle if he/she wants to.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

LMBSGV

You are correct, I have a friend who is gathering signatures to get on the ballot now. He is running for the exact reasons you stated. The problem is almost nobody runs, it's the same people year after year. But it's not just the board, why was the valley picked to begin with? The solar plant will be on DWP land and they are pushing it. Their influence is so great in the valley many board members fear opposing them. They have control of 98% of private land available in the county, and mostly do as they please. If someone opposes them they bring out a panel of high dollar lawyers to get what they want. It's a no win situation.
I'm no suture for my future.