Benighted?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Benighted?

Post by dave54 »

Back in my fire crew days it was a common occurrence. We expected it every time we went out. Everyone carried basic bivy gear in their line packs.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

Rockchucker wrote:I've started carring in my day pack a klymit small inflatable that is about the size of a coke can and weighs half as much. Also a very small kind of warm thermarest synthetic quilt/blanket that weighs around 12 oz and packs to the size of a grapefruit. I'm sure I could get through a unplanned night with this.
When climbing you have the rope as a "pad". It insulates fine but I can never get comfortable.

At some point if you carry enough extra stuff you cross the line between unplanned and planned. For rock climbing carrying even a tiny pad and a quilt would be unacceptably heavy and bulky in most situations, given the relative rarity of a bivy. For certain day hikes it might make sense.

The old Chouinard quote about bivouac gear comes to mind.

But when I've thought the odds were higher than usual -- and I'm talking about summer in the Sierra -- I've taken a little extra clothing, a mylar bivy blanket, a lighter, and a small amount of extra water when possible.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I'm not climbing so I can afford to carry a few "what if" items. It's gotten to where I carry more weight day hiking than overnight, strange but when you consider binos, extra water, a gun and ammo when hunting. My day pack becomes quite a beast. And your right the line is very blurry.
I'm no suture for my future.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Friends have called me the bivouac queen. Used to do it quite regularly - both planned and not planned. I taught 13 NOLS courses and each course we required a night out. Not to waste an opportunity, I always did this on a 2-day climb - usually a long ridge-run. I also got caught on a serious rock climb - spent the night on a 1-foot ledge with four others, soaking wet from a rainstorm, lightening flashing, nearly freezing at night. You do not sleep, just survive. Lots of huddling taking turns for who gets the inside position. Then we had to do four full length rappels to get off next morning. It helps to be in your early 20's when this happens -

Bivouac on North Palisades, several other peaks, cannot hardly remember all. On a few I had a bivy sack, but no sleeping bag.

Went on a day-hike with the intention of peeking down Enchanted Gorge - started 9AM, got "enchanted" -hit the confluence with Goddard Creek at 6PM, hiked up , stopped at dark. Built a fire. Did not sleep much, only hand one tea bag, no food left. (I always carry a pot or cup that I can use for a pot) - drank weak tea all night. Soon as I could see I continued - did the loop back to Chasm Lake -got there at noon.

As long as you know what you need to survive, do not expect to sleep, and have what you need with you, it is not so bad. Experience helps. I also have done two 4-day, 50 mile, no food survival treks. That also is not as bad as most people imagine.