Stoves in tents

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Stoves in tents

Post by jessegooddog »

3 backpacker/campers in my neighborhood tell me they often take their stoves inside the tent to warm it up. This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me, with the threat of burning up the tent or burning up the limited oxygen. I wouldn't trust a lit stove inside a tent for a minute, but does anyone else regularly do this?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Stoves in tents

Post by rlown »

don't. You must preface your "warming" to not mean lighting it. warming is different. means sleeping with the stove to keep it warm.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I don't ever use a stove in a tent to warm it up but I have often used my stove in my tent to cook. If the mosquitoes are bad enough or sometimes if the wind is bad or it's raining I will cook inside my tent.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Per lb of fuel needed to even slightly heat a tent,you could get better use out of few extra ounces of down.
I'm no suture for my future.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

No stoves inside my tent! I have had two serious blow ups with stoves (one gas and one butane) that I would never trust a stove inside a tent. I think I am particularly accident prone with stoves. I have used a stove and candles inside a snow cave with proper ventilation.

I have put hot water inside my water bottle and put that in my sleeping bag to pre-warm the bag. I usually just deal with the bugs when cooking but do take the food inside the tent to eat. (that is if I am not in grizzly bear country). If it is particularly nasty weather at dinner I will raid my trail food to eat inside the tent and then cook dinner for next days lunch.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

I've had white gas stoves in the tent, but only during howling wind and snow on mountaineering trips, and despite leaving the door and rear window slightly open I could feel the air turning bad and got headaches from the CO I guess, but we needed to melt snow for water. And we did have the stove tip once and melt a hole in the floor, plus dumping a pot of melting snow all over the floor of the tent, probably why we didn't burn down the tent - fortunately it froze quickly and we could throw the linty ice out the door. At least we were smart enough to have kept our bags stuffed and all our gear well away from the stove end of the tent. The fumes never seemed to be a problem in snow caves or igloos though. One stove could bring up the temp significantly while cooking, but never used one just for heat.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher