Sierra Trivia II (Little harder)

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra Trivia II (Little harder)

Post by John Dittli »

I could only come up with 11 in the Sierra from memory. FWIW, Wikipedia actually only shows 10 summits in the Sierra with 300' of local relief, over 14,000', and four named "14ers" with less than 300' of local relief. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ca ... ourteeners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Very interesting. I knew it was 10 unless we are talking about all of California but the peak of Aiguille du Paquoir is completely new to me. I had to look up the GPS location it gave to find it. Just North of Muir on the crest of Whitney.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

That one was new to me as well! But I have to talk to the guy that graded my paper re: #1 LOL...
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
AfterSeven
Topix Acquainted

Post by AfterSeven »

1.How many peaks of the Sierra reach above fourteen thousand feet?

A.10 ....11 if you call Mt. Muir an actual mountain.

2. What is the largest of the Sierra squirrels?

A. Alpine marmot ...WAG wild assed guess

3. What is the Methuselah, how old is it, and where is it located?
  • a. The 2nd Oldest known living non-clonal living tree on Earth. Schulman died before he could date all of his cores. Apparently at least 1 core dates older than Methuselah...and Prometheus! (See Tom Harlan, resercher...AZ Tree Ring Lab Researcher.) It is also claimed that rangers are aware of a tree older than Methuselah, unnamed...undated effective 2012...it's not clear if the two reports...separated by decades are related.
    b. 4,844+ years ...add a year for new years day? Add some more because no confirmation that tree was cored to the pith ...most likely it was not....add more years to account for years it took for tree to reach the height of the core sample.
    c. Methuselah Grove, within the Schulman Grove of Inyo Natl. Forest in the White Mountains. The only known "captioned" picture of which exists in getty images collection of Nat Geo Magazine Pics. or in the March 1958 Nat Geo Article written by Shulman about Methuselah published a few months after his death. Picture of Schulman grabbing a spike on Methuselah here~~> http://is.gd/XoVdRP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; picture #81955099 ...well published and circulated to millions. At time of his death, Schulman had found 16 Trees over 4,000+ yrs old, all in the 'Schulman Grove' and 9 of which are in the small sub-set 'Methuselah grove'. The soil is horrible and the exposure to wind is great. Each of the nine trees suffers from 4,000 years+ of erosion so they are propped up so to speak. The Methuselah Tree had a plaque at one time...and remains visible from the Trail today.
4. What 4 rivers drain the southern part of the Sierra Range?

Kern, Kings, Kaweah, Tule

5. Who first mapped the Kings Canyon NP area?

B. William Brewer...... I would think with some assistance from King

6. What two species of pine trees are found between 3000-7000 ft on the western slopes
of the Sierra?

B. Ponderosa
D. Jeffrey

7. Name the climate found in the upper elevations of the Sierra?

D. Alpine

8. Which river did the ancestral rainbow trouts use to breach into the Sierra?

D. Kern

9. Name the tributary creek where the golden trout was born?

D. Volcanic

10. When was the O'Shaughnessy Dam completed?

D. 1923

11. Who fist ascended Mount Whitney?

D. Fishermen

12. Which pass xcountry pass would you use to get to Tulainyo Lake from the east?

B. Clover ... Cleaver?

13. Who on HST would you most likely find at Puppet Lake in September, except for
this year? :lol:

C. Rlown
Enthusiasm is the burning spirit within that says, ‘I can!’ It is the indomitable ‘Yes!’ without which nothing worthwhile is ever accomplished. ~ ROYAL ROBBINS