Boy Scout Leaders Topple Ancient Utah Rock

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Boy Scout Leaders Topple Ancient Utah Rock

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Rock rolling is poor judgment at the least. I did some rock rolling in my youth. Then I realized the consequences. Thankfully no damage done. Although rare, a rolled rock killed a climber a few years back. You never know who or what could be below or how far or which direction a rock will fly when kicked off.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

After 4 months in the wild I reverted to an adolescent state in Picket Guard Creek and had fun toppling every possible rock I could off the cliff sides into the lake. I suppose with as many rocks as I knocked in I might be looking at 10 years in prison.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Well, if you decide to roll rocks again, at least yell "rock" at the top of your lungs and then wait a few minutes. If someone is below they will yell back various obscenities. There are some pretty obscure rock climbs in the Sierra so do not assume you are the only one on the mountain.

The fellow who rolled the rock and killed the climber did not go to jail but he will spend the rest of his life knowing he killed someone.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well my rocks where off the cliff into the lake. I know no one but the magical lake monster was there.