Sierra or Sierras? | High Sierra Topix  

Sierra or Sierras?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.

Sierra or Sierras?

Postby rlown » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:46 pm

ok. another round of grammar:

http://www.englishforums.com/English/Si ... b/post.htm

you can decide which you choose. I choose Sierra.

russ

rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra or Sierras?

Postby giantbrookie » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:47 pm

This isn't really a matter of English grammar, but Spanish. It should be Sierra, but that is a purest view going back to the origin of the name and in its "borrowed" form the purest definition does not necessarily carry the day.

I very much object to the redundancy of "Sierra Nevada Mountains", though. That is a very bad English corruption that builds in the redundancy. Even academic geologists have been known to use that term and I've gotten on such authors as a reviewer or editor. This same sort of redundancy creeps into English adoptions of mountain names in at least two languages I know of: One example is "Mount Fujiyama" which is redundant because the "Mount" is the "yama" (so Mt. Fuji is legit). Another famous one I've seen is Mount Taishan (the "Mt" is in "shan"--so Mt. Tai is how we should do it). We also have Matterhorn Peak in the Sierra but at least I've never heard of anyone refer to the Matterhorn in the Alps as "Mt. Matterhorn" or "Matterhorn Peak".
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Experience: N/A

Postby freestone » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:38 pm

For me, "High Sierra", Sierra Nevada", "THE Sierra", or John Muir's "Range of Light". "The Sierras" is far too vague.

Sierra Nevada literally translates as "a mountain range, appearing as a saw, covered with snow". I think our early spanish settlers, and Muir summed it up perfectly.
freestone
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Postby dave54 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:08 pm

I am currently reading John Fremont's journal of his exploration of OR/CA. He refers to it as the Great California Range.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
dave54
Founding Member

Postby rlown » Sat May 03, 2014 10:46 am

I hear markskor is teaching a college course on this topic.

It's 5 days of intensive behavioral therapy so people know to leave that last "S" off.

It costs 1000 buxx and you get a certificate of completion.

Russ
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby RoguePhotonic » Sat May 03, 2014 11:48 am

I'll stick with Sierra.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Postby Wandering Daisy » Sat May 03, 2014 11:55 am

My grammar is horrible so I simply forgive humans just being human and making mistakes.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Postby rlown » Sat May 03, 2014 12:04 pm

1355 uses of "Sierras" on this site.

oops.. now 1356 or 1357.. :o
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby Rockchucker » Sat May 03, 2014 12:14 pm

It's the same with Buttermilk, so many people call it the Buttermilk(s) which is incorrect.
I'm no suture for my future.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Postby balzaccom » Sun May 04, 2014 10:01 pm

My favorite examply of this is BenBury Hill in Britain. Ben, Bury, and Hill all mean hill in different languages,. EVery time a new language became dominant they added another hill to the name.

And it's Sierra. As we say on our website: "Sierra, in Spanish, means “mountain range.” (Actually it has two meanings--the other one is a saw--as in the Sawtooth Range.)

So the range is the Sierra, not the Sierras. There are not many mountain ranges, there is one. And yes, we speak English here, not Spanish. That’s why we live in a state called California, in cities called Sacramento, Los Angeles and San Francisco, and use words like patio, cargo, canyon, siesta, adobe, macho, corral, aficionado, …and don’t even get me started on food. Ay! Caramba!"
Balzaccom

check out our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
balzaccom
Topix Fanatic

Postby longri » Sun May 04, 2014 10:28 pm

I feel the same way, that it should be Sierra. I stick to that. But it is a losing battle to keep people from saying Sierras. Language evolves and you can stand in the middle of the raging stream and scream "stop!" but the water will just flow around you.

Nevada Falls. Does that one bug you? It actually sounds better to me than what is correct, the singular Nevada Fall. I decided to just go with it. I call it Nevada Falls now, even though I know it's wrong. I prefer it.
longri
Topix Expert

Postby ndwoods » Sun May 11, 2014 10:55 pm

Ditto. Singular....Sierra. I don't quite grit my teeth and stop from correcting folks, but I do notice when they use the plural for the one range we all love...:)
ndwoods
Founding Member

Next

Return to The Campfire