Markskor

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Markskor

Post by oldranger »

It is with great sadness that I have to report my good friend and best hiking buddy has past away from leukemia. I will have more to say about Mark when I am less overcome with my emotions,

Mike “oldranger” Williams
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Markskor

Post by Harlen »

Very sorry to learn this Mike. I only met Mark once, but it was a real pleasure. We have admired him from afar through these posts. He will be missed, and yet, his memory will be kept alive by friends like you.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

We took our oldest grandson on his first High Sierra trip a few years ago, and we took a detour up to TM, mostly so I could meet Mark. We had a short, but nice chat at the store. I wanted to take his daily drawing, and now wish I had.
Condolences to you Mike and RIP Mark.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Very sorry and sad to hear this Mike. I didn't know him but I always enjoyed seeing his watercolor paintings. He will be missed. Condolences.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I too never met Mark, but enjoyed his watercolors. I am so sorry.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

So sad to hear. RIP Mark.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

So sorry to hear this. I only had the fortune of meeting Mark once, but he was in his element: at an offtrail backcountry lake with good fishing, sharing tall beers and taller tales. He'll certainly be missed, but as others have said his memory (and art, and stories) will live on.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Copeg, Russ, Eric, can one of you skillful guys put up a gallery of some of your favorite Markskor paintings here? I think it would be nice to look at while we remember that great guy. We love his paintings of the Cathedral Lakes, and Peaks, and believe it was a special place for him.

Thank you, Ian and Lizzie.

100_3046.JPG
Markskor country!

DSCN1229.jpg
Mark's next Life? Wiley Tuolumne Coyote.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I remember being at his condo in Mammoth. We were prepared to search for Matthew Greene. We all sat chatting as he sat quietly, doing his art. Taking everything in, but saying nothing.
Rest in Peace, Mark.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

So sorry to hear this. I greatly enjoyed his paintings that he so generously posted here, and his witty observations of trips in the mountains. His great affection for you, Mike, showed clearly in those posts. Sincerest condolences.
-Phil