Status of Dogs in Wilderness Areas?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Status of Dogs in Wilderness Areas?

Post by Harlen »

Wandering Daisy wrote:
If you cannot control where your dog goes, then, no, he(she) is not well trained. Having a dog come when called is a basic of dog training, as is "sit", "lie down" and "heel".
Yes, Bearzy will sometimes do those things when told, but as for going where he's told, I've had little success. I've tried the commands: "Crap!", and "Piss!", and "Shite!", and "Pee!" to no avail. I've pissed in front of him while saying the words... he just looks at me with a vacant gaze.

100_0123.jpg

Should I try bigger, more impressive words WD-- like "Defecate!", and "Urinate!"
Please advise, Ian.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

We have a herding dog- sticks to us like glue and will not let us get out of her sight! We cannot exactly tell her where to go, but on the command "lie down" she drops like lead and will not move until we say so. There are two of us watching her closely when she is sniffing around the campsite or on the trail. I am not sure why, but if we do the "lie down" before the "come" she does better. Maybe it lets the sniffing part of her brain relax a bit. She is not show-dog instantly reacting- she takes here sweet time to come. Honestly, by the time we get into camp, she is tired enough to want to take a nap.

Lots of training as a puppy, DAILY off-leash walking, daily being my husband's buddy everywhere he goes, including archery practice where arrows are flying. She has always been a mellow cautious dog- just her personality.

I have no problem with people saying their dog is not super trained. I just get a bit ruffled when people say their dog is trained when really not. Even a not so well trained dog can do fine in the wilderness if they have the right personality and the owner knows when to put on the leash. You cannot assume everyone loves your dog. An honest heartfelt apology when your dog bothers another hiker, goes a long ways to mend bridges.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Same here, Wandering Daisy. My Border Collie is very calm and would never think of approaching a stranger. Normally I keep her on-leash at the trailhead, and once we get going on the trail, I store the leash. If others with a dog are approaching on the trail, then I normally grab my dog's collar and hold her there, just to avoid any possibility of a dog clash. When in camp, she will wander off a little, but she has never failed to return after 15 minutes. After all, I am the human who has the meaty dog treats. When inside the tent, a Border Collie makes an excellent foot warmer.
bharmandvm
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bharmandvm »

Sounds like many responsible dog owners on this forum. I agree. I am a veterinarian. I have a service border collie and well mannered. Never barks or chases. Just takes some hours of committed training. Then they are good citizens. I also bury all feces just like my own. Also important to have full control of dog when the packers come by. Dogs without experience around horses will often bark and spook the horses. I snap a leash on if coming up to a group as not all people are comfortable and there are bad actor dogs on trails. Enjoy all!
LincolnB
Topix Acquainted

Post by LincolnB »

My dog is over-the-top friendly, every person she meets is the most exciting thing that's happened all day. But apparently some people don't like having a large dog jump on them and stick its tongue in their mouth. Weird, I know. Just in case, I pull her off the trail when others approach.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A bit off the subject, but I just talked to my daughter who lives in Durango CO. The woman who Friday was killed and partially eaten by a bear & cubs while walking her dogs in the wilderness, was in her social circle. So very sad; everyone is in a shock. Rare, but obviously can happen. Your dog is not going to "protect" you in a bear encounter- more likely you will instinctively protect your dog if caught between mother and cubs. If your dog is off leash, you really need to have them "stay" and put on the leash when you run into a bear. Dogs should not be let off leash unless they are trained to obey commands not to chase animals