Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed May 27, 2020 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: If we love the Sierra Nevada we might want to get off our butts - articles

Post by TahoeJeff »

rightstar76 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:13 am Some will get off their butts and do something.
Do what exactly?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Push Congress to change their ways, to fund the scientific community in finding things to do about it?
Obviously no single one of us is up to the task. We put machines and people in space, we do awesome things - you can print a house now, for cryin' out loud. There are people building contraptions to remove trash from the ocean and people theorizing a great big barrier between here and the sun to control the exposure the planet gets. Plenty of ideas, not enough money.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

And to add to the conversation, here is a sobering article here by a previous director of the NPS:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... han-jarvis
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

In the current political climate, where our politicians (both parties) care more about the money that goes into their pockets, the success of their own parties, and the length of time they can stay in office, over what is good for American and it's people, there will be no changes, unless we start at the ground root levels.

Conservation of our National Lands, in particular the Sierra Nevada in my case, is something I try to bring awareness of thru my photography and at my shows. Preserving these natural wonders for the future generations is paramount and important to me, we should all get actively involved in doing so in one way or another.

We (HST Members) are stewards of the Sierra Nevada, many of us have put thousands of miles in over the decades, who better than us to talk about the beauty, the need to protect, and preserve it.

Do we not have some sort of obligation to the Sierra Nevada for the many years of joy it has brought to our lives? Or have we become such a self-centered, and self-serving society, that we could care less about what happens to these natural wonders, as long as we can enjoy and use them, without thought or care about the future generations to come?

Personally, the Sierra Nevada has brough much joy to my life, being able to explore her over the decades has opened my eye's to who and what I am as a being on this planet, also, the meeting of wonderful people with similar love for the Sierra, has enriched my soul.

Being able to photograph her majestic beauty, for me, is a privilege, and being able to share it with others and talk about her, with one of my goals being conservation, is to me an obligation and joy to do.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Well said, Maverick!
-Phil