Why mainly only caucasian backpackers?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Why mainly only caucasian backpackers?

Post by davidsheridan »

BAWT Ethnicity of Youth Outdoors.GIF
Bay Area Wilderness Training (BAWT) Gets Youth of Color and Low Income Youth Outdoors into California's Wild Areas

- 85% of youth who participated in BAWT-supported programs in 2015 were youth of color
- In contrast, the Outdoor Industry Association reports that in 2015 just 29% of young people, aged 6–24 who participated in outdoor activities, were youth of color.

Each year, thousands of youth experience the outdoors through Bay Area Wilderness Training’s programs. This work would not be possible without the help of our community of supporters.

Come to a Discovery Session and Volunteer night in Oakland and find out more about the organization and how you can Help Get Youth Outdoors!
If you are not in Oakland and want to get involved, reach out to me directly.
http://www.bawt.org/programs/community/ ... eer-night/

http://www.bawt.org
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

david, thanks for sharing your work. it's much needed and greatly appreciated!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

david, thanks for sharing your work. it's much needed and greatly appreciated!
What he said. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

That was a nice read - she's a good writer.

My one observation is that people who might feel excluded many times erroneously assume it's about them. In my experience, however, it's usually about the group; you're either part of it or you're not.

This isn't meant to imply anything malicious - group dynamics are typically very fluid & flexible. Accept for real hard cases, groups are usually accommodating & inclusive as long as you are **one of them**. You want to be a black member of the NRA? No problem. You want to be a white activist in BLM? Same result.

Ultimately, it comes down to the classic "he's just not that into you". People outside of the group simply don't register - it's not personal. Could be bikers, surfers, climbers, hikers, even born & bred NYers who view the country in this manner:

Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Wow, that article is a real eye-opener.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thru-hikers go to towns a lot so have to put up with all the off-trail riff-raff. I find the same thing- lots of jerks within a few miles of the trailhead, less so as you get into the wilderness, few if any once you step off the trail. Does not surprise me that she got all that negativity while in town. People stereotype; I do not take it personally. Plenty of men have offered me tons of unsolistated advise on the trail, even though they are the ones on the brink of exhaustion and I am doing just fine. They mean well; just oblivious of the fact that there really are competent women backpackers.

Non-whites are more concentrated in urban areas, and it is logical that they embrace the more urban persuits. Going into a city scares the XXX out of me; being alone in the wilderness does not. I do not function well in urban environments. Residents of urban areas, particulary low-income people, just do not have the access to outdoor experiences. I actually grew up in the burbs of a smaller city, but we had tons of huge city parks to roam around in. My family was big on visiting National Parks (in the day before they cost anything to use and gas was dirt cheap). Camping was considered poor folks recreation. We could not afford using motels when we traveled. Not so anymore. Ask people nowadays about "camping" and they think RV's and campsites now are $20-40 per night. Fees here, fees there, fees everywhere! The average low-income family cannot even afford to go camping anymore.

There are also plenty of white folks who do not backpack. Everyone, regardless of race, is becoming more urbanized. In fact, most people think backpacking is some form of torture. Day-hiking is more accepted, but not to go home to a "real meal" and shower is beyond most people's tolerance of "hardship".
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Going into a city scares the XXX out of me; being alone in the wilderness does not. I do not function well in urban environments. Residents of urban areas, particulary low-income people, just do not have the access to outdoor experiences. I actually grew up in the burbs of a smaller city, but we had tons of huge city parks to roam around in. My family was big on visiting National Parks (in the day before they cost anything to use and gas was dirt cheap). Camping was considered poor folks recreation. We could not afford using motels when we traveled. Not so anymore. Ask people nowadays about "camping" and they think RV's and campsites now are $20-40 per night. Fees here, fees there, fees everywhere! The average low-income family cannot even afford to go camping anymore.

There are also plenty of white folks who do not backpack. Everyone, regardless of race, is becoming more urbanized. In fact, most people think backpacking is some form of torture. Day-hiking is more accepted, but not to go home to a "real meal" and shower is beyond most people's tolerance of "hardship".
Couldn't agree more... +1
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

When I read the article, the first thing that came to my mind was if you are black and a stranger in a small, rural Southern town, the chance of experiencing racial prejudice is likely high. Robert Taylor who she referred to in the 2000 interview seems to point that way as well. It was written in such a way that I had to read the sentences a few times to be sure he was talking specifically about the AT and it seems he was.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=