Trinity Alps Treasure Hunt

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
pbthoreau
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Trinity Alps Treasure Hunt

Post by pbthoreau »

Who's up for a treasure hunt? There a pack full of goodies just waiting for you in the Trinities.

Last week I found myself off the trail and down in a ravine below the lost trail. I knew that I could keep following the creek down and would eventually meet up with another one that I could then follow up to the trail. So I kept going. Down more and more. Eventually, the going was too hard forward so I dropped my pack in order to work my way on with the plan to reach the trail, find my hiking buddy, and then return down for the pack from the original spot. Well, when I did try to return, I couldn't find it before it was time to get back before dark. Then, the next day I was too exhausted from my previous days' exertions to go down safely again. Without my goods, we didn't have the stuff to wait out my body to replenish so we left - and the pack is still there for you! There's a 2 year old REI pack, a new Radiant sleeping bag, a 5 year old quarter dome tent, and various other clothes and goodies. Most of all, it's an adventure! And it's bothering me that all that stuff is out there.

The place: In the limestone Ridge area below Pony Mountain. I set off from Pony Camp to go to Whites Creek Lake. The path NE is pretty weak and I ended up going east down the ravine (and eventually west up Whites Creek). I left the pack a good way down the ravine well below Pony Camp in a small stand of trees close to the creek (though not right on the creek, I believe). Most of the area is bare of trees and of the trees that are there, most are dead/burned. I purposefully found a set that had a few live trees so it would stand out. I also noted that there were no live trees west/upstream from the set for many hundreds of yards.

In short, going down along the creek, you will hit areas with trees and areas without. At the start of one of the areas, there is a stand of trees that includes a few live trees and which is relatively close to the river (as opposed to way up on the ridge). The gray pack should still be there.

If you do take up this challenge and find the pack, prepare for a slog. It is gettable, but the terrain is pretty darn steep and tiring. You need to be in very good shape. Good luck!
Last edited by pbthoreau on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trinity Alps Treasure Hunt

Post by rlown »

Wow.

First, welcome to HST, pbthoreau!

Next this needs to be moved to "beyond the sierra".. Mods?

Now, Go back and get your pack.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Pbthoreau,

Welcome to HST! Moved your thread to the "Beyond The Sierra Nevada". Good luck
finding you pack, but giving out the exact location on the internet may not have been
the best idea, not everyone has good intentions. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
pbthoreau
Topix Newbie

Post by pbthoreau »

Thanks. But I can't imagine what kind of bad intentions could occur. As far as I'm concerned, the pack is whoever wants it.
tarbuckle
Topix Acquainted

Post by tarbuckle »

Quite the remote area. I'm assuming you didn't come up from the North Fork to Pony camp or you would have passed Whites lake. Long,hot, dry hike on unmaintained trails.if you came from the New River area. Kudos to your stamina and abilities.Were you prospecting? Just curious because I'm very familiar with the area. Saying that, a bear has more than likely torn it apart by now. I found my water bottle last week that I had lost from a previous trip in June. It was in shreds.