Running the Main Salmon

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Running the Main Salmon

Post by mokelumnekid »

Just returned from a Main Salmon trip- 81 miles from Corn Ck. to Carey Ck. Two rafts and me in a hard shell. The rapids are not especially hard for a decent boater familiar with big water, and the beaches are fabulous. It was HOT and the river was muddy as a number of creeks had blown out in the headwaters from thunderstorms.

It is interesting to note that although there have been fires, the canyon isn't an ash covered wasteland. In fact it looks like probably what a natural forest would look like with somewhat regular lighting caused fires. Anyway, I haven't posted any pics yet but I did make a short video. One thing about a GoPro on a boater is that it makes everything look a lot easier. The rapid where I swim flipped a big raft right after I went through.

The video is only from the last day, many of the harder rapids came prior to that. Anyway, check out:

https://vimeo.com/70015126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Running the Main Salmon

Post by The hermit »

Great video! Looks like a great trip. Thanks for posting.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Running the Main Salmon

Post by maverick »

Great video MK, thanks for sharing it here! :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org