Bonneville Cutts (I know it's not in the Sierra's) | High Sierra Topix  

Bonneville Cutts (I know it's not in the Sierra's)

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.

Bonneville Cutts (I know it's not in the Sierra's)

Postby jimtheflyguy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Hello Everyone,

Considering that April 27 is fast approaching and we're all waiting on baited breath...yea I know it's a terrible pun...I thought I share a report from earlier this week. Hope it inspires you all who are heading to the Sierras this weekend!

Work had me scheduled to be in CO for a week of meetings starting Monday. So, like any good cabin-fever laden, anxious, and antsy fly-addict there was no way I was going to fly. Not when I would be passing waters that hold Bonneville Cutts, Colorado River Cutts, and potentially Rio Grande Cutts (depending on just how much driving I felt like doing). I packed my setup and my wife and I headed East. The plan was to fish part of Utah on the way out for Bonneville Cutts. I settled on a watershed known to hold remnant fish that has been classified by the “authorities” as a future stocking strain. Regardless the excursion was fantastic.

We drove as deep as we could into the range on the dirt roads and then hit the “trail” to find the water. Trail is a generous term in this case the path was overgrown and on more than one occasion I found myself crawling on my stomach to reach the creek. It was small but beautiful. The trees were concentrated, the brush tight, and the water #$@$%@ cold! Seriously. Look at my hands in some of the photos. There was no color correction there. They were pink and numb...no complaints here. With the runoff really building, the water levels were high and the flows fast. Though no too fast. Large boulders created pools and runs and the trout were lining up for whatever came their way.

Utah Creek & Pool by jimtheflyguy, on Flickr

As you can see, once on the fish, they were not shy. I hooked up on just about every cast. I felt a couple fish in particular deserved a mug shot for their beauty and contrast.

Bonneville Cutthroat Trout by jimtheflyguy, on Flickr

Bonneville Cutthroat Belly by jimtheflyguy, on Flickr

Bonneville Cutthroat Trout by jimtheflyguy, on Flickr

Bonneville Cutthroat Gill Plate by jimtheflyguy, on Flickr

jimtheflyguy
Topix Novice

Experience: N/A

Re: Bonneville Cutts (I know it's not in the Sierra's)

Postby Fly Guy Dave » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:21 am

Those are some nice looking Bonnies there, Jim. Congrats. I've only caught them in Wyoming before and I'm hoping to get into a few this summer in Nevada.

Cheers!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby TahoeJeff » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:13 am

Beautiful Cutts!
TahoeJeff
Topix Expert

Postby maverick » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:06 am

Hi Jim,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the TR and great trout photo's, hope to see many more from
you this season. :)
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Troutdog 59 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:41 pm

Absolutely gorgeous trout Jim. Thank you for sharing the pics and the adventure!!!
If you stand in the light, you get the feel of the night, and the music that plays in your ear......
In your mind you can hear, a voice so sweet and clear, and the music that plays in your head......
As it flows up from the ground, taking all that hear the sound, close your eyes, it’s about to begin.

R. Trower
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Postby rlown » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:09 pm

we need to take up a collection and get you some neoprene gloves! ;)

Beautiful fish!
rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Jason » Fri May 03, 2013 9:45 am

That first fish is a stunner. I love those big black spots. Thanks!
Jason
Topix Regular

Return to Beyond The Sierra Nevada