Isle Royale

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Isle Royale

Post by fishmonger »

Last October I headed out to Isle Royale on the last boat to the island the 2012 season. They were already shutting down operations for winter and only 6 people were brought over on October 2nd (of which 2 Detroit folks who just had taken the credit card to REI for a full outfitting turned around the same day after they saw what they were getting into...).

My knee was acting up from a ski injury that happened in the 2011/12 winter, so I had to take it easy. Didn't get to see much of the island in the week I spent there, due to the knee and crappy weather, but it was still better than being at work.

pictures here (note that you need to click the View Gallery button to get to the other sections after the first image loads)

I was kind of disappointed - Sierra spoils you. Doubt I'll be going back anytime soon - the peaks are too low, and even on top of them, the forest is virutally inpenetrable. Forget about off trail hiking there - the vegetation is just far too dense to leave the trails. Saw no moose, heard a few wolves.

The little NOAA weather radio only played the Canadian dude and I always tuned in when they did the thing in French - "neige neige neige" is all I heard :)